You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Tuesday, October 29, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
NOTE: As you’re commuting and traveling around the city today (especially on the Westside), make sure to stay aware of the #GettyFire via updates on the LAFD website. If you want to sign up for alerts (always recommended!), you can go here.
1. [9 a.m.] On October 29 and 30, Formula 1 brings the Grand Prix atmosphere to Los Angeles with a car exhibition, a high-adrenaline live show, featuring the super-charged F1 driving experience and tons of other entertainment. FREE
2. [9:30 a.m.] The Natural History Museum’s latest exhibit dives into the scientific inspiration behind some of Hollywoods most terrifying creatures. “Natural History of Horror” opens October 10, 2019 through April 19, 2020 and will include rare movie props, film footage, activities and museum specimens.
3. [noon.] Merchants on Olvera Street will celebrate Dia de los Muertos for nine days starting October 25 through November 2. The festival will include altars on display, children’s workshops, face painting, and live entertainment. FREE
4. [4:30 p.m.] Bob Baker Marionette stops by One Colorado for a Halloween show featuring all your favorite spooks from Dracula, Vampira to Purple People Eaters. It’s a family friendly affair and costumes are of course encouraged. FREE
5. [5 p.m.] The folks at Scratch|Bar presents Magic|Bar an evening of spooky illusions in a speakeasy setting led by bartender/magician Benjamin Schrader. Join him and a few of his world-famous magician friends for an unforgettable night, raise your “spooky” punch glass and indulge in some deliciously eerie finger foods. Happening October 28-29 and on Halloween.
6. [7 p.m.] Tenacious D’s Post-Apocalypto Tour stops by The Wiltern this Tuesday.
7. [7:30 p.m.] Otik Records’ Annual Halloween Covers Party returns to The Hi Hat in Highland Park this Tuesday. It’s $8 to get in and $5 if you wear a costume.
8. [8 p.m.] The Boo Boys return to Lyric Hyperion Theatre & Cafe with their Halloween themed sketch comedy show. They perform year-round, but of course Octobers show is an extra special time.
9. [various] Critically-acclaimed immersive VR experience THE VOID recently launched Nicodemus: Demon of Evanishment, the first original experience developed in conjunction with Ninja Theory Studio. The mission is for a few brave Angelenos. You will travel back over one hundred twenty years to a decaying Chicago World’s Fair and explore the abandoned exhibits in the dead of night. I forgot to mention the demon Nicodemus is on the loose and some of you might never return.
10. [various] Grand Park’s Dia de los Muertos celebration spans nine days (October 26 to November 3) with 35 ofrendes (alters), themed artwork from LORE Media and Arts displayed around the park and several special events on select days. FREE
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $35 tix to the LA Haunted Hayride (via Goldstar)