You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, July 11, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [4 p.m.] Enjoy free family-friendly outdoor movies in Malibu thanks to Screen on the Green every Thursday through August 15. This week How to Train Your Dragon will be screened. FREE
2. [5:30 p.m.] Sizzling Summer Nights at The Autry kicks off this Thursday with dance lessons with an instructor, access to museum galleries, and a separate children’s dance floor, plus tacos, margaritas, and other light refreshments (available for purchase.) The series opens with a performance by Conjunto Oye!, a Los Angeles based salsa orchestra. Sizzling Nights continue weekly through August 22.
3. [6 p.m.] Downtown Art Walk brings art enthusiasts and locals together every second Thursday of each month to take part in gallery tours, parties, food trucks, and and more in the heart of the Los Angeles Historic Core.
4. [6 p.m.] The City of Pasadena hosts Parks After Dark a season of free activities including sports, fitness classes, arts & crafts and much more offered to youth, families and individuals every Thursday through Saturday from July 10 through August 10. FREE
5. [6 p.m.] Grease screens for free during Queen Mary summer movie night series. The evening will also feature food trucks themed to the night’s film plus a full bar with drinks for purchase for those ages 21+. FREE
6. [6:30 p.m.] KCRW’s Summer Nights series stops by the Hammer Museum with a performance by Pavo Pavo, KCRW DJs Anne Litt and Dan Wilcox. Food trucks and a cash bar will also be available at the party. FREE
7. [7 p.m.] Back for the 16th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with a free performance of Twelfth Night on Wednesday and Friday. FREE
8. [7 p.m.] LA Plaza de Cultura y Artess presents Plática y Pruebas: Yucatán Summer Dinner Party with Chef Gilberto Cetina Jr., owner of Chichen Itza and Holbox. He’ll be sharing summer-time recipes from his cookbook “Sabores Yucatecos: A Culinary Tour of the Yucatán.”
9. [8 p.m.] Celebrate summer as you enjoy the arts during Symphonic Thursdays, a series of four free concerts taking place at Marina del Rey’s Burton Chace Park during July and August. Kicking off the series is Opera at the Shore – The Marina del Rey Orchestra performs a string of popular operas all in one night. FREE
10. [8 p.m.] Apollo 11: The Immersive Live Show retells the tale of the first moon landing using 40,000 square feet of 360-degree graphics beaming from 32 total projectors, and an almost full-scale replica of the mylar-draped Command Module Columbia. And of course the timing couldn’t be more perfect, with the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission coming up later this month. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $17 tix to Roaring Nights at the LA Zoo (via Goldstar)