You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Monday, August 19, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] A colorful, winding installation called The Second Home Serpentine Pavilion is now open at the La Brea Tar Pits for the summer and its 100% free for the public to roam and explore. The pavilion is open daily and will run through November 24. FREE
2. [noon] Poolside is a new immersive abstract painting show at Rhythm Visuals gallery in Downtown L.A. The exhibition features multiple rooms and visual experiences, including one where guests throw water balloons at a white wall to reveal a hidden painting. The exhibit is open Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays from noon to 4 p.m. through September 5. FREE
3. [2 p.m.] Pennywise returns to Hollywood with a second terrifying, immersive event. The Derry Canal Days Festival will open to the public on August 15 at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, drawing from the forthcoming IT Chapter Two, which hits theaters on September 6. There will be 10 different interactive spaces over the course of a whole 40 minutes for each guests to enjoy. FREE
4. [4 p.m.] During the month of August Skyspace’s The Garden Bar will host TAP TAKEOVERS where your admission between the times of 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. will include a free craft brew. This week guests can sip on a beer from Lagunitas from August 19-20.
5. [6:30 p.m.] BH90210: Now Wear This, a panel discussion with Beverly Hills 90210 costume designer Mandi Line plus Executive Producers & Actresses, Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling. FREE
6. [7 p.m.] Start your week with a free Jam Session at the Ford Theatre. This week’s focus: Chicago Style Stepping. FREE
7. [7:30 p.m.] Astronomy on Tap hosted by Caltech Astronomy happens once a month at Der Wolf in Pasadena. Professionals will give informal talks about a variety of topics while enjoying German beers with the public.
8. [7:30 p.m.] KCON After Party at The Hammer Museum.
10. [9 p.m.] The John Reynolds Quartet at Happy Feet Mondays at Joe’s Great American Bar & Grill in Burbank.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $17 tix to Mozart Under the Stars at the Hollywood Bowl (via Goldstar)
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!