You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, August 29, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [2 p.m.] The first-ever Museum of Weed is a 30,000 square foot space of ‘higher learning’ presented by WeedMaps aims to provide insight and history into marijuana through interactive exhibits, Instagram-friendly art installations and a bevy of historical artifacts. The museum is open Wednesday through Sunday now till September 29. Admission starts at $35.
2. [2 p.m.] Pennywise returns to Hollywood with a second terrifying, immersive event. The Derry Canal Days Festival will open to the public on August 15 at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, drawing from the forthcoming IT Chapter Two, which hits theaters on September 6.
3. [6 p.m.] Downtown Long Beach Alliance (DLBA) host its last Taste of Downtown on August 28 and 29 featuring restaurant samples of signature dishes, live music, art and more. Admission is free and open to the public. Tickets are sold in one dollar increments to partake in food sampling.
4. [7 p.m.] Back for the 16th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with free performances of either Pericles or Twelfth Night Wednesday through Sunday. FREE
5. [7 p.m.] Thirsty Classics: An evening of Classic Cocktails + Classic Films is back at Alcove in Los Feliz. The event takes place in their private garden patio where guests will be treated to a screening of Chinatown, Hendrick’s Gin & Monkey Shoulder Scotch cocktails plus popcorn.
6. [7 p.m.] La Resistencia performs as part of the Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles concert series. FREE
7. [7:30 p.m.] Westfield Century City’s Come See movie nights returns this Thursday with a free screening of Sixteen Candles plus complimentary movie bites and snacks for all. A special live a cappella Brat Pack-themed performance by For The Record Live will take place before the show. FREE
8. [7:30 p.m.] Night Dive at the Aquarium of the Pacific is an 18+ party inside the aquarium featuring DJs, food trucks, cocktails and art alongside sea life.
9. [various] Cinecon Classic Film Festival at Hollywood’s Egyptian Theatre (August 29 to September 2) is five days of classic film screenings, celebrity appearances, panels, a memorabilia show, and more.
10. [various] Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $16.50 tix to Doggie Paradise at the Queen Mary (via Goldstar)
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!