You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Wednesday, August 28, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] A colorful, winding installation called The Second Home Serpentine Pavilion is now open at the La Brea Tar Pits for the summer and its 100% free for the public to roam and explore. The pavilion is open daily and will run through November 24. FREE
2. [2 p.m.] The first-ever Museum of Weed is a 30,000 square foot space of ‘higher learning’ presented by WeedMaps aims to provide insight and history into marijuana through interactive exhibits, Instagram-friendly art installations and a bevy of historical artifacts. The museum is open Wednesday through Sunday now till September 29. Admission starts at $35.
3. [2 p.m.] Pennywise returns to Hollywood with a second terrifying, immersive event. The Derry Canal Days Festival will open to the public on August 15 at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, drawing from the forthcoming IT Chapter Two, which hits theaters on September 6.
4. [6 p.m.] Downtown Long Beach Alliance (DLBA) host its last Taste of Downtown on August 28 and 29 featuring restaurant samples of signature dishes, live music, art and more. Admission is free and open to the public. Tickets are sold in one dollar increments to partake in food sampling.
5. [7 p.m.] Twilight Concerts returns every Wednesday from August 21 to September 25 for free music performances on the Santa Monica Pier. This week Helado Negro, San Cha & Banda Las Angelinas will perform. FREE
6. [7 p.m.] Back for the 16th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with free performances of either Pericles or Twelfth Night Wednesday through Sunday. FREE
7. [7 p.m.] On Wednesday nights the Los Angeles Astronomical Society hosts an evening of astronomy at the Garvey Ranch Observatory in Monterey Park, free and open to the public. FREE
8. [8 p.m.] The Mermaid Bar hosts Boozey Bingo this Wednesday from 8 to 11 p.m. FREE
9. [8 p.m.] The Roots take the stage at the Hollywood Bowl with opener Christian McBride Big Band.
10. [9 p.m.] Dub Club with DJ Tom Chasteen and Boss Harmony at Echoplex. Free before 10 p.m.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $16.50 tix to Doggie Paradise at the Queen Mary (via Goldstar)