Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (July 29-31) includes Roaring Nights at the Zoo, Delicious Little Tokyo, a Summer Soda Tasting at Galco’s, Tiki Night at the Egyptian Theater, National Dance Day at Grand Park, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday July 29th, 2016
1. The L.A. Zoo’s annual Roaring Nights, is back with an awesome assortment of music, food trucks, animal encounters, new exhibits and more. Check for discount ticket offers before you purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. The L.A. Zoo will offer discount admission for Pokemon Go players from July 25-29 for PokeWeek. Friday is your last day to take advantage!
3. KCON is the largest Korean culture fan convention and music festival in Los Angeles and it takes place at L.A. Live in Downtown July 29-31.
4. Shakespeare By The Sea will host two performance at Wilson Park, Othello on Friday and Cymbeline on Sunday. FREE
5. Lucky Rice is back in Los Anegeles with over 40 of the city’s top Asia-minded culinary heroes and drinks from some of LA’s favorite local watering holes.
6. California Market Center and Wags & Walks are combining shopping with a puppy adoption fair with CMC offering a curated selection of clothing, accessories, and shoes.
7. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening Fridday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema screens The Truman Show at One Colorado and Touching The Void at Distant Lands Travel Book Store. FREE
9. Prepare to watch pro surfers dominate the gnarliest of waves during the US Open of Surfing taking place at Huntington Beach July 23 through Sunday July 31. FREE
10. Candis Cayne will host Le Bal at the Theater at The Ace with special performances by new and legendary ladies of Drag putting on a dazzling drag performance like you’ve never seen before. Check for discount ticket offers before you purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Summertime Cinema at Westfield Culver City will screen Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.FREE
12. Little Tokyo is hosting a food and cultural festival featuring tastings, restaurant discounts, workshops, giveaways and more from July 29 through July 31.
13. Roundabout Theatre Company’s production of Cabaret comes to the Hollywood Pantages. This Tony-winning musical takes you into the Kit Kat Klub where a unground cabaret plays escape from pre-WWII Berlin. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. Presented by Arts Brookfield every Friday night the FIGat7th plaza will host free concerts for the public spanning multiple music genres all summer. FREE
15. Tony Award-winning puppet musical Avenue Q continues at the Cupcake Theater for a marvelous (and hilarious) look at trying to make it as an adult in NYC. DISCOUNTED all weekend (via Goldstar)
16. L.A. Restaurant Week a.k.a. Dine L.A. (July 18-31) is a 14 day food event at over 300 restaurants across Los Angeles County. Each restaurant will host unique pre fixe menus for guests to expereince at a special price.
17. History Lit will bring to life three immersive short plays at Pasadena Museum of History Thursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
18. Barnsdall Park’s Friday Night Wine Tasting happens all summer long. Guests will enjoy fine wine, art in the gardens and and live music.
19. The Sole Society Sample Sale is this Friday (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.) Save 50%-75% on women’s shoes and accessories priced between $5-$40. Address: 8511 Steller Dr., Culver City, 90232
20. Friday Flights at The Getty is a free summer series with music, special projects, dance, film and more. This program includes music by M. Geddes Gengras and wild Up’s Lewis Pesacov, installations by Jim Drain and Jennifer Juniper Stratford, a performance by Ry Rocklen and Nick Lowe’s The Bushes, a film program presented by Veggie Cloud and more. FREE
21. A free pinup-themed prom will take place in Burbank at the Pinup Girl Boutique. FREE
22. Score 40%-80% at The Hershel Supply Company & Native Shoes Sample Sale (10 a.m.- 6 p.m.) backpacks, accessories, luggage, sneakers and hats will all be on sale. Address: CMC 110 e. 23. 9th St., # B420, Los Angeles , CA 90079.
24. Free Museums This Friday
- The Long Beach Museum of Art is free from 3 – 8 p.m every Friday. FREE
Saturday July 30th, 2016
25. Everybody’s favorite new art museum The Broad is hosting a special evening where performance art, music, and classic art come together as part of their Nonobject(ive): Summer Happenings at The Broad series hightlight this week includes a DJ set by Sky Ferreira.
26. Halloween in July? The Midsummer Scream Fest is bringing it complete with themed presentations, theatrical productions, workshops, and a museum of the paranormal all at the Long Beach Convention Center on July 30-31. Check for discount tickets before you purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. Be surrounded by Californian history during Silent & Classic Movie Nights on the Heritage Square Museum lawn taking place over the summer. This week they will screen The Man Who Knew Too Much.
28. Experience the food and culture of East Hollywood’s ethnic neighborhoods through a four hour foodie tour this Saturday. DISCOUNTED
29. Shakespeare By The Sea will host a performance of Othello at Cesar Chavez Park. FREE
30. Now in it’s 15th season Cinespia brings classic films to the famed Fairbanks Lawn at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Some 4,000 moviegoers are expected to attend per night, bring blankets, food and drinks (including alcoholic beverages). This week they will screen the Audrey Hepburn classic Sabrina.
31. Farmer John is set to roll around Los Angeles in a food truck serving up free Dodger Dogs, All Beef Hot Dogs and Smoked Sausage Dogs Saturday July 30 and 31. FREE
33. If there’s ever a time to get lost in the music this is it. Dance Day is a FREE event where participants learn a dance routine and enjoy performances by big names in the dance world from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Grand Park. FREE
34. Watch a movie inside the British Burlington Arcade during Float’s Annual CineRamaDena a free summer screening series. This week they will screen Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. FREE
35. Stage + Table is bringing a taste of the Big Easy to Santa Monica for A Taste of New Orleans Culinary Pop-Up event.
36. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema screens Dr. Strangelove at One Colorado and Beetlejuice in Central Park. FREE
37. Street Food Cinema has a screening of two movies this weekend. Hocus Pocus at Brand Library Park; Breakfast at Tiffany’s at Will Rodgers State Park. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar).
38. One of the most beautiful outdoor art festivals in the nation The 45th Annual Malibu Arts Festival will feature over 200 award-winning artists July 30 -31.
39. Get your hands on over 30 of the city’s best burgers and wash them all down with over 30 of the state’s best craft breweries during LA Weekly’s second annual Burgers & Beer a belly busting day full of good eats and awesome hops.
40. Grand Performances in DTLA will host perfomamce pieces by a selection of L.A. artist in Se Mueve: Aqui/Here: It Moves. FREE
41. All things Tiki going on at Cinematheque’s annual Tiki Night at the Egyptian Theater featuring a Tiki marketplace, tropical cocktails from Tonga Hut, Polynesian Paradise Dancers and more!
42. Trying to find a way to knock off brunch, yoga, and drinking off your weekend to-do list? Brouwerij West Brewery can help you do just that at their Yoga + Beer + Brunch event.
43. The 5th Annual Downtown Burbank Car Classic returns with a packed day of celebrity, custom and exotic cars from Petersen Automotive Museum, the Television Motion Picture Car Club, Warner Bros. Studio, Universal Studios and more. FREE
44. Once Upon a Canyon Night brings together nature and art for a series of performances in the S. Mark Taper Foundation Amphitheater nestled among the trees July 23 through September 17. This weekend Fake Radio presents “The Maltese Falcon” on Saturday and Sunday.
45. Pump up the jams and go back in time to the era of Vanilla Ice, slap bracelets, and scrunchies during 90’s Prom Party happening at the Fonda Theatre.
46. Movie Picnic Night at Alhambra Park is a free Chinese outdoor movie showcasing Chinese language films (with subtitles!) this weekend they will screen Monster Hunt. FREE
47. For all of you brew and home brew fans, National Orange Show will be holding their 3rd annual Brew Fest, which features a home brew competition and craft beer tastings.
48. Flintridge Bookstore is celebrating the launch of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I and II by throwing a wizardly party. You must pre-order the book to be able to attend.
49. Gourmetzia is a unique gourmet food and beverage tasting event taking place for two days (July 30-31) at The Reef in Downtown Los Angeles.
50. The first ever L.A. Musical Comedy Fest will take place at the Clubhouse in Loz Feliz featuring an entire day of musical comedy groups, bands and improv groups taking on rap battles to musical jams. FREE
51. The Long Beach Dragon Boat Festival is one of the largest dragon boat competitions in California. Held at Marine Stadium in Long Beach July 30 – 31, there will be Chinese acrobats, martial arts performances, food and more.
52. Brooklyn-born craft market Artists & Fleas in Venice will feature locally made art, fashion, vintage edibles and beyond. FREE
53. Like Water for Chocolate will be screened at LA PLAZA de Cultura y Artes this Saturday. FREE
Sunday July 31st, 2016
54. Looking to try some of the best (non-alcoholic) bubbly beverages in all of Los Angeles? Head to Galco’s on July 31 for their sixth ever Summer Soda Tasting Event.
55. Vintage shopping is a skill and one Angelenos are adept at thanks to events like the Pickwick Vintage Show with more than 65 vendors available from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Pickwick Gardens in Burbank.
56. Yestercon is a one-day convention celebrating and re-envisioning memories of your childhood! Activities include Nintendo World Championship, a Donkey Kong Competition and photo-ops with lasers!
57. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening this Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
58. Angeleno Magazines annual tasting Live & Dine LA celebrates the city’s best restaurants with a day of tastings, sips and music comes to the Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica.
59. There is a Swiss National Day Celebration over at Swiss Park in Whittier. Enjoy treats, music, activities like soccer, crossbow and more.
60. The 22nd Brazilian Summer Festival will take place at the Queen Mary and will feature authentic food, music, arts and crafts and Samba dancers!
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].