Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (September 22-24) includes Museum Day Live!, Dino Fest at Natural History Museum, Time Out’s Battle of the Burger, a 90’s Secret Arcade Party hosted by Playboy, the Abbot Kinney Community Fest, a Bloody Mary Festival and LOTS more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday September 22nd, 2017
1. The 22nd Annual Redondo Beach Lobster Festival happening Sept. 22 to 24 will bring 27,000 fresh Maine lobsters to the South Bay for mouth-watering dishes, alongside an impressive music line-up all weekend! Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. An official Burning Man regional event, the Venice Afterburn comes to Venice Beach’s Windward Plaza on Sept. 22 and 23 offering a less hectic — not to mention less dusty — place to continue enjoying art and creativity after two days on the playa. Open to burners and non-burners alike the event is put on by the folks behind the Venice Art Crawl.
3. The Actors Gang in Culver City will open their season with Captain Greedy’s Carnival, a musical satire mocking greed, humbug, corruption and predatory capitalism. Follow the story of four innocents who get tricked by a legendary con man. From there on they’ll encounter freaks, illusion, terrifying exhibitions and more. Happening Friday and Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. Cheer on the Dodgers as they go up against the San Francisco Giants. Spend an evening at iconic Dodger Stadium and dine on the newly revamped menu as you watch the boys in blue. The night will end with a spectacular fire works show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Black Rabbit Rose, part theater for magic and variety acts and part craft cocktail bar, takes you into their retro-style cabaret shows set in an intimate and mysterious setting. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with two screenings at their rooftop locations. LA Confidential at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles and Dirty Dancing at Montalban in Hollywood.
7. Pacific Standard Time LA/LA is in full swing with a four-month-long exploration of Latin American and Latino art in relation to the City of Angels. Led by The Getty the high profile event is a collaborative effort with dozens of art institutions across the city. Check out our top highlights here.
8. The LA County Fair takes over the Fairplex in Pomona from Sept. 1 to 24 with fair-style foods, live musical performances, carnival-style games, rides, and unique attractions such as an expanded farm section (over five acres) featuring tons of interactive agricultural experiences for guests to enjoy. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes is hosting the fourth annual Celebration of Food and Wine (Sept. 22-23) The two day party includes an intimate champagne reception, breakfast on the beach, a cocktail competition, a farm-driven grand tasting dinner, live entertainment, and much more.
10. Movie Under The Stars at Malibu Wines will screen Mama Mia! Admission is free but they suggest each party purchase a bottle of wine. Cheers!
11. The Pasadena Greek Fest happening Sept. 22 to 24 will feature classic Greek dishes, drinks, dancing, kid friendly activities and much more.
12. The Groundlings: The Completely Different Late Show is a hilarious improv show by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company. Audience shout suggestions throughout the night for improvisational scenes performed by some of the best in the business. It’s also a testing ground for brand new material for the Groundlings’ main show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
15. LACMA’s award winning Department of Music Program provides hundreds of free concerts and musical events every year for Angelenos to enjoy. This Friday their jazz series continues at the BP Grand Entrance.
16. Free admission day: Long Beach Museum of Art.
Saturday September 23rd, 2017
17. Museum Day Live!, is a special day where participating museums across the country will offer free admission to any and all guests presenting a free online voucher. Locally, there will be 10 museums in L.A. County who will be participating! FREE
18. Eat|See|Hear is having a FREE screening of The Goonies at ROW DTLA. FREE
19. For the first time ever, the Bloody Mary Festival will land in L.A. this Saturday. Taking place at Candela the festival will feature some of the best Bloody Marys around town. Some creations will be unique, innovative and some will be old school, attendees will have a chance to taste them all before voting for their favorite.
20. PROUD Movie Night at Grand Park comes to Downtown Los Angeles showcasing short films reflecting the diversity and freshness of creators from the Outfest Fusion Festival. FREE
21. The 2nd annual Dino Fest returns to NHMLA this Sept. 23 to 24 for a weekend of celebrating the prehistoric giants that once ruled the earth.
22. ROW DTLA Block Party is two days (Sept 23-24) of awesome street fair vibes, retail activations, craft workshops, live art installations, yoga, cocktails, food, a free outdoor movie screening of The Goonies, DJ sets and much more! FREE
23. Playboy’s Hidden Arcade event returns this Saturday at Think Tank Gallery for a throwback 90’s Playboy party with classic arcade games, a DJ, drinks and bunnies of course.
24. Head to the Santa Monica Pier and sample wine while catching a live screening of LA Opera’s Carmen. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. Stay cool while learning the Winter Olympics sport of curling! Beginner and pros are all welcome. The lesson will feature an excellent introduction to the basics, including sliding stones, sweeping, and game strategy. All equipment is provided. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. Los Angeles Green Festival Expo (Sept. 23-24) is a sustainable festival featuring over 200 exhibitors, 50 inspirational speakers and hands-on activities.
27. Cocktails in the City heads to the Los Angeles’ Majestic in Downtown for what they claim as “the largest cocktail festival in California.” Expect 30 bars ready to give guest the unique bar culture LA is recognized for. Each bar is assigned to craft a signature cocktail thats only attainable at the event. Other highlights include a bar school, a craft spirits discovery room, food vendors, live music, and entertainers.
28. Knott’s Scary Farm is back with their signature haunted attractions, mazes and thousands of monsters ready to scare the living day light out of you and your crew. Be sure to check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. Hosted by the Emerson Avenue Community Garden, the Westchester Arts & Music (WAM) Block Party returns for a fun filled day of celebration featuring live music and dance, art, food and much more. The garden will also be open for tours and will host kid’s art activities. FREE
31. Descanso Gardens presents Wet & Wonderful: A Celebration of Water. This daylong symposium centers on ways to create beautiful gardens and save our water supply. The educational day of programming is suitable for all ages.
32. There’s an opening reception for a new solo exhibition by street artist D*Face taking place at the Corey Helford Gallery. The theme of his solo show is resurrection of romance in the modern era. During the reception the artist will perform a real marriage ceremony in front of a chapel installation inside the gallery. Open to the public from 7 – 11 p.m. FREE
33. The 2nd annual Next Night Block Party taking place on South Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills, will host a night of fun and partying with highlights that include: live music, food trucks, restaurant specials, a beer & wine garden and pop-up shops.
34. Shop for a great cause! Visit The Humane Society of the United States for a pop-up shop featuring clothing donated by Hollywood celebrities like Zooey Deschanel, Channing Tatum, Kate Mara, Ruby Rose and Jenna Dewan-Tatum. Refreshments and light plant-based bites will be served.
35. Produced by the art collective 11:11 the Reseda Rising Artwalk & Night Market is a special night of art installations, live art, a beer garden, a market featuring artists’ work for sale, a drawing workshop, food trucks, live music and a zine fest. This is a family friendly event as well. FREE
36. The Surf City Dog Competition heads to Huntington Beach for a day of fun in the sun where dogs will catch a few waves before the summer weather is over.
37. The folks at Rooftop Cinema Club are back with two screenings at their rooftop locations. La La Land at LEVEL in Downtown Los Angeles and Wonder Woman at Montalban in Hollywood.
38. Get spooked during Paramount Pictures After Dark Tour: Tales From The Other Side where you’ll hear scandals of yesteryear and the lost souls who haunt the studio lot by moonlight. The tour starts at dusk with champagne as you head into the studio lot where you’ll weave in and out of sound stages and the darkest corners of the infamous backlot. You’ll end the night next door at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
39. Mt. Washington Made is a local craft fair organized by parents at Mt. Washington Elementary School. The annual modern maker marketplace features a variety of local artists, designers, and much more. Event proceeds go toward school programming.
40. UniCon is the first mini convention for “Unicorn Moms” focused on empowering moms to embrace their individuality. Taking place at Sofitel Hotel the day will feature mommy panelists, lifestyle vendors, entertainment, and more.
Sunday September 24th, 2017
41. Help Time Out LA crown the winning champion of the best burger in town during their Battle of the Burger this Sunday. Taking place at La Plaza de Cultura y Artes the burger filled day will feature tastings, Guinness Blonde, friendly competition, music and more. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
42. The 33rd Annual Abbot Kinney Community Festival will feature over 300 vendors, food trucks, rides, games for kids, four music stages and three beer gardens. FREE
43. It’s Fried Chicken Day at Smorgasburg LA this Sunday! Celebrate National Fried Chicken Month by getting your hands on some of the best fried chicken Los Angeles has to offer. Participants include: Hot Star, Rooster Republic, The Nomad Truck serving a fried chicken burger collaboration with Suzanne Goin, BOLO’s fried chicken sandwich in a Hong Kong style pineapple topped butter bun and Baldoria serving their fried chicken and waffle cone.
44. The American Youth Symphony is hosting a FREE concert at UCLA’s Royce Hall this Sunday. FREE
45. Free museum days: Museum of Latin American Art and Craft and Folk Art Museum (pay what you can)
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]