Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, March 19 to Friday, March 23, features a free Ready Player One pop-up maze, Bach in the Subways, Art Battle, PaleyFest LA, a Mermaid Museum, a Dinner Series at The L.A. Zoo, 2018 Latin Food Fest and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday March 19th, 2018
1. A free, interactive Ready Player One pop-up maze lands in Hollywood March 18 to April 1. The pop-up is part of the promotional run-up to Stephen Spielberg’s Ready Player One movie. Taking place at Hollywood and Vine the experience is a “choose-your-own adventure” maze with audio/visual installations, interactive displays, video games, film props, actors, music, and set replicas. FREE
2. Astronomy on Tap at Der Wolfskopf in Pasadena brings professional astronomers to bars to give informal talks on a variety of scientific topics followed by lots of discussion with guests. And beer!
3. The Museum of Failure returns at a new location on Hollywood and Highland with new exhibits and products that include Juicero, Facebook Gifts, RCA SelectaVision, Pets.com, and Google Wave. There’s also an entire section dedicated to Hollywood with some of the industry’s biggest fails. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. Broadway Sings Disney is a powerhouse concert developed from the Walt Disney catalog’s 80-plus years of magical music. From Steamboat Willie, to Frozen’s “Let It Go,” happening at the Rockwell Table & Stage. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Greenbar Distillery has teamed up with The Burrito Project and a select list of local bars and restaurants, to provide thousands of burritos to those in need in the Los Angeles area. Simply go to a bar on the list and order a CITY Bright gin cocktail from there Greenbar Distillery will donate a burrito to The Burrito Project. Get more info here.
6. Hot Tub With Kurt And Kristen at The Virgil is one of the most popular weekly variety shows happening on a Monday in Los Angeles.
7. Monday Jazz Nights at West Hollywood’s French restaurant Le Petit Four from 6 to 9 p.m.
Tuesday March 20th, 2018
8. The Walt Disney Concert Hall will host Chamber Music & Wine Tasting with The LA Philharmonic. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
9. 260 LA will host a Rent The Runway sample sale at their Beverly Hills location from March 20-25.
10. The documentary Latino: The Changing Face of America will screen at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes this Tuesday.
11. Step inside The Museum of Illusions in Hollywood and find yourself in a classic painting, part of a cartoon, part of current events, inside movies and much more. Highlights include watching the Titanic go down, “climbing” a sheer cliff and other eye popping visuals. Happening all week. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
12. Down some tacos, drink some locally brewed beers and test your trivia skills this Tuesday during Tacos & Trivia night at Angel City Brewery in DTLA.
Wednesday March 21st, 2018
14. In honor of J.S. Bach’s birthday, Bach in the Subways returns to L.A. March 21-25 with free performances at Union Station, North Hollywood, Glendale, and other public venues. The events are highlighted by a 10-hour Bach Marathon at Union Station on March 24.
15. Art Battle takes over the Exchange LA for a battle with 16 artists battling it out to become a champion. Artists will get 20 minutes to transform blank canvases into breath taking art. Then guests will vote and help crown the winner.
16. Odyssey: A Grand Tasting & Exploration of Greek Wines comes to the Petersen Automotive Museum with nine award-winning wineries spanning Greece, from the Islands to the north. Taste wines made from indigenous grapes found only in Greece and meet all the winemakers. All proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to LA Kitchen.
17. Premiere TV festival PaleyFest LA returns to Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre March 16-25 for another year of cutting-edge programs and panels connecting television fans with the stars of their favorite shows. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
18. The Super Serious Show is a comedy event produced by CleftClips featuring both established and up-and-coming talent performing an array of stand-up, sketch and musical comedy. Happening at The Virgil.
19. There is a conversation at the HAMMER about the complicated relationship between nature and cities.The expert panel will discuss cohabitation, future challenges and much more. FREE
20. The Edison presents an evening of Latin Jazz. Guests will enjoy food, a salsa lesson, Mezcal inspired cocktails as well as sounds from La Verdad.
21. FLIX at FIG will screen Moneyball at FIGat7th in DTLA. The free movie screenings happen every third Wednesday of the month. A live DJ and happy hour kicks off the night at 6 p.m. and the film begins at 7 p.m. FREE
22. Live Talks Los Angeles presents Kareem Abdul-Jabbar discussing his book,”Becoming Kareem: Growing Up On and Off the Court” at the Ann and Jerry Moss Theater in Santa Monica.
23. Get some laughs in for hump day with The Crazy Uncle Joe Show, one of L.A.’s longest-running long-form improv shows at The Groundlings’ Theater. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. Take an afternoon yoga class in beautiful Grand Park. The 45 minute workout is complimentary to the public every. After yoga, checkout the many food trucks lining the park and grab lunch al fresco style. FREE
25. Every first and third Wednesday of the month, BEAR CITY brings free comedy and free pizza to Que Sera in Long Beach. FREE
Thursday March 22nd, 2018
26. The Siren-inspired POPSUGAR x Freeform Mermaid Museum will feature a photo spot that allows guests to look as though they’re floating in an underwater garden plus a 360-degree animated underwater projection and soundscape. It’s free to attend and runs March 22-25.
27. Boomtown Brewing will host an oysters and beer pairing. Guests can expect to be introduced to three oyster varietals and three Boomtown beers to enjoy.
28. The L.A. Zoo will once again host their annual Sustainable Wine+Dinner Series. Kicking off the series is the theme “Dinner Digest,” featuring Fiddlehead Cellars from Lompoc and L.A. Zoo Animal Keeper Kevin Gorowski at Ludden Plaza inside the Zoo’s Australian habitat.
29. The Queen Mary presents its inaugural Queensway 5K on Thursday, where you can walk, run, or jog through Queen Mary’s Events Park and along scenic Long Beach harbor for a good cause. The finish line will include music, celebratory medals, a speech by Commodore Everette, food, a beer garden, vendors and more. The 5K has been postponed to March 29 due to the weather.
30. There’s a free mindful awareness meditation going on at the Hammer. Participants are welcome to stay for the entire 30-minute session or leave when they choose. FREE
31. Free admission at: MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m,) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
Friday March 23rd, 2018
32. WonderCon returns to Anaheim Convention Center March 23-25 for the ultimate comic book convention weekend that also focuses on TV, film, animation, and more.
33. The 2018 Latin Food Fest is two days of food, beer & wine booths, celebrity chef demos, a michelada bar, a spirits expo, live performances and more. Happening in Santa Monica March 23-24.
34. Movie Under The Guns is a movie night aboard the Battleship Iowa in San Pedro. Free to the public they’ll screen 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. FREE
35. The grand opening of ART Up! will take place at Beyond The Lines Gallery and Event Space in Downtown Los Angeles. The pop-up art show will host four shows in a row, live music, food, drinks and comedy shows.
36. Palm Desert Food & Wine returns to the El Paseo shopping district in Palm Desert for three days of tastings from leading chefs, breweries, and wineries; live cooking demonstrations; celebrity chef appearances; and other dining experiences.
37. 4th Fridays on 4th Street activates the “Retro Road” business district in Long Beach on the fourth Friday of every month from 6 to 9 p.m. through extended hours, dining specials, discounted merchandise, pop up shops, art shows, live music, double decker bus rides and more.
38. There’s a Blues Brothers screening in 35mm at the Vista this Friday.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]