Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday through Friday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, May 13 to Friday, May 17, features Häagen-Dazs free cone day, Queen Mary Outdoor Movie Night, Little Mermaid at The Hollywood Bowl, Monrovia Days 2019 and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday May 13th, 2019
1. POP SK8 brings a pop-up outdoor roller-skating rink to the Westfield Valencia now through May 27.
2. X-Men Day at Golden Apple Comics welcomes two stars of Dark Phoenix (Alexandra Shipp aka “STORM” and Kodi Smit-mcphee aka “NIGHTCRAWLER”) doing a limited edition poster signing. The first 100 fans that show up to Golden Apple at 11 a.m. will get line passes. 1 pass per person. 1 poster per person.
3. It’s Beer and Magic night at Angel City Brewing this Monday. Come on by from 6 to 9 p.m. and be entertained while sipping on a beer.
5. E.P. & L.P. in West Hollywood continues their stylish cinema series Melrose Rooftop Theatre with several screenings this week including The Notebook, Aquaman and more.
6. The Mermaid Comedy Hour returns to the Hollywood Improv with a fierce lineup that includes Laurie Kilmartin, Meredith Casey and more.
8. The American Cinematheque and the European Union presents the sixth annual Starring Europe, New Films from the EU (May 9-13) a film festival to celebrate and discover new films from across the European Union.
Tuesday May 14th, 2019
9. Häagen-Dazs annual free cone day is back! Just be at a participating locations to grab a free ice cream scoop (cup, sugar cone, or cake cone) of your choice on Tuesday between 4 to 8 p.m. FREE
10. The Hammer museum will host a free afternoon screening of The September Issue. FREE
11. Shopify will host an evening Shop Class Session on Email Marketing 101 where guests will learn how to build an email list, create campaigns and maximum impact. FREE
12. Museum of Illusions has recently launched a brand new experience. Guests can walk through eye popping 3D exhibits inspired by cartoons, art, current events, pop culture and more. The museum is open daily. Check for discounted tickets before your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar
13. Rooftop Cinema Club returns to the rooftops of LEVEL in DTLA and NeueHouse in Hollywood with multiple screenings this week that include A Star is Born, Back to the Future and more.
14. 260LA will host a Sandro sample sale from May 14-19 in their Beverly Hills location.
Wednesday May 15th, 2019
16. California African American Museum presents #OscarsSoWhite with April Reign, a lively discussions about using social media for political engagement and social activism. FREE
17. JAPAN HOUSE Los Angeles brings their Japanese Food Lab back with a History of Sushi with Chef Kouji Kimura. The evening will be a roaming tasting event paired with a Q&A with Chef Kimura.
18. FLIX at FIG will screen 10 Things I Hate About You at FIGat7th in DTLA. The free movie screenings happen every third Wednesday of the month. A live DJ and happy hour kicks off the night at 6 p.m. and the film begins at 7 p.m. FREE
19. The Super Serious Show is a comedy event produced by CleftClips featuring both established and up-and-coming talent performing an array of stand-up, sketch and musical comedy. Happening at The Virgil.
21. Grand Central Market will host a trivia night on the Broadway side of the open air market at 8 p.m.
Thursday May 16th, 2019
22. This summer the Queen Mary is hosting a monthly summer movie screening series on the lawn adjacent to the historic ship. Films will be screened monthly, with the series kicking off on May 16 with Mamma Mia! Admission is free, but parking will cost $10 per vehicle.
23. The Magic And Mayhem Show at Two Bit Circus is a wild and unpredictable show hosted by MadTad a member of the world famous Magic Castle. This month he’ll be joined by other acts including stand up, puppetry, a former clown and a world class female magician.
24. Downtown Long Beach Alliance’s monthly Live After 5 event will celebrate Bike Month with a free bicycle drive-in screening of Ferriss Bueller’s Day Off at The Promenade. Bring the whole family it’s open to all ages. FREE
25. Night Market is back on the hilltop of the iconic Yamashiro restaurant every Thursday all summer long. Angelenos can enjoy boutique vendors, food vendors, a concert series, cocktails at Yamashiro’s Pagoda Bar and an unbeatable view of Hollywood. This event is also kid friendley. Please note this year the organizers are charging $10 to park at the shuttle location. Shuttles are free and so is admission.
26. The Pasadena Showcase House of Design will take place at the Boddy House on the grounds of Descanso Gardens in La Cañada Flintridge from April 21 through May 19.
27. If Halloween and horror movies are your favorite topics then I Like Scary Movies Experience will be just what you’re looking for. Guests can expect to see, hear, feel, and smell recreations of iconic moments from IT (2017), Beetlejuice, The Shining, The Lost Boys, and A Nightmare on Elm Street. There won’t be costumed actors jumping out trying to startle but there will be multi-sensory surprises along your winding path. The pop-up experience runs April 4 through June 16 Thursday through Sunday. Check for discounted tickets before your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar
28. Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (all day), MOCA Grand (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday May 17th, 2019
29. Disney’s The Little Mermaid will transform the iconic Hollywood Bowl into an “under the sea” wonderland on May 17 and 18 for an immersive live-to-film concert experience. The audience will enjoy the film broadcasted on the Bowl’s movie screen while a star studded cast performs live with an orchestra. Check for discounted tickets before your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. Pop-Up Magazine’s Spring Show, a live-magazine created for stage and screen performed in-front of a live-audience takes over the Theatre at the Ace Hotel this Friday.
31. Monrovia Days 2019 takes place May 17-19. The community fair will feature games, rides, food, vendors, a parade, live entertainment, and more to celebrate the city’s birthday. FREE
32. Movie Under The Guns is a free movie night aboard the Battleship Iowa in San Pedro. This week they’ll screen SGT. Stubby. FREE
33. Walt Disney Concert Hall welcomes The BTHVN on tour exhibition to BP Hall from May 17-26 during the LA Phil’s Beethoven concert series. The BTHVN is a global touring exhibit highlighting Beethoven’s life, original objects like the viola and original scores along with some interactive elements. The exhibit is free and open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. There will be ticketed LA Phil concerts during this period alongside pre-concert lectures on May 17, 18 and 19 featuring demonstrations of the viola.
34. Odd Nights At The Autry feature a collection of vendors, gourmet food trucks, children activities, guest DJ’s, a full bar and access to The Autry Gallery until 9 p.m. Happening every third Friday of the month until October 2019. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
35. Greenbar Distillery will host a Cocktail Discovery event focused on the Old Fashioned. Learn its history, taste four variations and then custom-design your own mini-cocktail.
36. The NoMad Los Angeles recently launched a new food series titled ‘For A Limited Time Only‘ transforming the hotel’s coffee shop into a variety of themed pop-ups every Friday and Saturday evening. The second iteration The Kentucky Derby featuring mint juleps, hot chicken sandwiches, deviled eggs and Derby decor to match.
37. Get up close and personal with sharks at the Aquarium of the Pacific during Shark Lagoon Nights. Guests will have the opportunity to touch bamboo sharks and view large sharks in an after hours setting. FREE
38. Los Angeles County Museum of Art hosts free jazz performances on Fridays through November. Concerts take place at the main entrance. FREE
Food Pick for the Week
This week’s pick by Christina Champlin, Co-Founder of We Like L.A.
As part of the Los Angeles Time Food Bowl, Connie & Ted’s will host a Carnival Style Shell-ebration on Tuesday May 14. Fresh off winning the James Beard ‘Best Chef: West’ award, Michael Cimarusti and his team will curate a menu that celebrates the best of Los Angeles food and sustainability. The evening features a sustainable raw bar, Mini Lobster Rolls, Hot Fish on a Stick, Fried Oyster Sliders, Cinnamon Roll Ice Cream Sandwiches, cotton candy, beer on tap, wine and cocktails. The ‘shell-ebration’ will also include games with prizes, a photo-booth and more. Tickets cost $75 per person and comes with unlimited food and drink. For those not drinking tickets cost $55. More information and tickets can be found here.
Connie & Ted’s is located at 8171 Santa Monica Blvd. West Hollywood, CA 90046