Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, August 8 to Friday, August 12, features Moves After Dark, a Netflix & Chill Burlesque, Sundance NEXT FEST, the HollyShorts Festival, the DTLA Art Walk, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday August 8th, 2016
1. The Music Center’s Moves After Dark returns for its second season of ‘off-night’ performances where audience members are asked to travel wherever the dancers are performing and select their own vantage point.
2. Write Club Los Angeles at The Bootleg Theatre centers on two opposing writers who argue opposing ideas for 7 minutes each.
3. Over 500 of Guillermo del Toro’s personal collection of macabre items are displayed at LACMA now till November 27.
4. Come on out to Angel City Brewery in DTLA’s Arts District as they host one epic game night that includes 15+ Board Games, 8+ beers on tap, a 3-round cornhole Tournament and one geeky host. FREE
5. Every week the the team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony with Magic Monday at The Santa Monica Playhouse. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Tuesday August 9th, 2016
6. Moonlight Movies on the Beach screenings take place at Granada Beach in Belmont Shore. This week it’s Zootopia. FREE
7. Sweet Rose Creamery in Studio City is hosting free summer screenings every Tuesday. This week they will screen Clueless. FREE
8. Get a taste of Old Hollywood and sip on classic cocktails with the Historic Hollywood: Stars & Bars Gang as they recall Hollywood tales and history. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. Food truck night at the California Heritage Museum features a big selection of tasty food trucks (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.) FREE
10. Free Museums this Tuesday:
- Autry National Center of the American West
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art (also free for L.A. County residents with valid I.D. after 3:00pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays all month long)
Wednesday August 10th, 2016
11. Enjoy a sunset nature walk! Every Wednesday through out the month of August, Descanso Gardens will provide free admission from 5 to 8 p.m. FREE
12. Shakespeare in the Park offers free donation-based Shakespeare performance at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park this month “The Tempest” will run Wednesdays through Sundays. FREE
13. Above Sixty is hosting a FREE movie night every Wednesday now through Sept. 28. This week they will screen Mrs. Doubtfire. FREE
14. Get your sun salutations on during Grand Park’s lunch time free yoga class stop by at 12:15 p.m. yoga runs till 1 p.m. FREE
15. Vinoteque on Melrose hosts a trivia night on their patio every Wednesday at 8p.m. FREE
Thursday August 11th, 2016
16. Classical Nights at the Hollywood Bowl with the LA Philharmonic concert series continues with Mozart this Tuesday and Beethoven and Schubert on Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. To celebrate the release of their third studio album, Young the Giant will be performing an acoustic set at Amoeba Hollywood. FREE
18. As part of KCRW Summer Nights the Twilight Concerts at Santa Monica Pier will feature RÜFÜS DU SOL with Marc Baker, Hosted by KCRW DJ Anthony Valadez. 7-10 p.m. FREE
19. Shakespeare By The Sea will host a performance of Cymbeline at Roxbury Park Thursday, Othello at Polliwog Park Friday and Cymbeline at Polliwog Park Saturday. FREE
20. JazzPOP 2016 is back with jazz and improvised music featuring three unique composers, artists and music masters every Thursday this month at the Hammer Museum. FREE
21. Skirball Cultural Center is hosting their 20th annual Sunset Concerts series featuring an array of contemporary and experimental artists showcasing sounds from a variety of genres. FREE
22. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happeningThursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. The 12th annual HollyShorts Film Festival is back with screenings of feature films, conferences, parties and more from August 11 through August 20.
24. The Redondo Pier Association will once again sponsor the biggest free summer concert series in the South Bay. Featuring 20 bands throughout the summer every Thursday and Saturday from July 2 to September 3.
25. The Dirty Little Secrets turns to Netflix as inspiration in their latest burlesque show Netflix and Chill Burlesque at Harvelle’s Long Beach. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. The Downtown Art Walk has been an L.A. cultural phenomenon bringing art enthusiasts and locals together every second Thursday of each month for a night of art in multiple forms. FREE
27. The Grove is hosting an event to help attendees learn about the work that P.S. ARTS is doing throughout greater Los Angeles. Guest will have a chance to make art, enjoy refreshments all for a good cause.
28. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens The Iron Giant this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. Sizzling Summer Nights continue at the Autry’s outdoor patio featuring some of LA’s best salsa and Latin fusion bands. Guests will enjoy weekly free dance lessons with award-winning salsa instructor Enio Cordoba, as well as margaritas, tacos and more.
30. Free Museums This Thursday
- The Japanese American National Museum offers free admission from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. every Thursday. FREE
- Every Thursday evening from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. admission is free to both the MOCA on Grand and The Geffen Contemporary. FREE
- The Skirball Cultural Center is free to all every Thursday. FREE
Friday August 12th, 2016
31. On Friday ‘Movie Under The Guns‘ will present a special free outdoor screening of Brave on board the fantail of Battleship IOWA in San Pedro. FREE
32. Downtown Los Angeles will be taken over by the Sundance Film Festival for three days (August 12-14) of film and music events during the 2016 Sundance NEXT FEST.
33. Pete’s Dragon soars into the El Capitan Theatre this weekend with Disneys latest live action tale of a boy and his dragon. Guest can also view a special dragon exhibit featuring Dragons from Disney movies and theme parks including Pete’s Dragon to the purple dragon Figment in Fantasmic at Epcot. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
34. Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center is a all ages free movie screening by the water. This week they will screen Inside Out. FREE
35. Dance Downtown will offer an open air dance floor with beginner dance lessons taught by top Los Angeles dance instructors alongside a live band or DJ. This week it will be salsa at The Music Center Plaza! FREE
36. Tony Award-winning puppet musical Avenue Q continues at the Cupcake Theater for a marvelous (and hilarious) look at trying to make it as an adult in NYC. DISCOUNTED Friday and Saturday (via Goldstar)
37. The 5th Annual Marina del Rey Film Festival is back August 12 through August 14. The event will feature films from local up-and-coming filmmakers as well as educational workshops.
38. Once Upon a Canyon Night brings together nature and art for a series of performances in the S. Mark Taper Foundation Amphitheater nestled among the trees July 23 through September 17. This weekend is a staged reading of “The Best Man” by Gore Vidal. Check for discounted tickets for this weeks performances DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
39. Summertime Cinema at Westfield Culver City will screen Lilo & Stitch. FREE
40. Barnsdall Park’s Friday Night Wine Tasting happens all summer long. Guests will enjoy fine wine, art in the gardens and and live music.
41. Paper or Plastik Café and The Flower Chef present Flower Therapy Night an intimate DIY evening of floral creations with celebrity florist and author of The Flower Chef, Carly Cylinder. All materials will be provided including: fresh cut flowers, vases, clippers, an apron and more.
42. Presented by Arts Brookfield every Friday night the FIGat7th plaza will host free concerts for the public spanning multiple music genres all summer. FREE
43. 29th Annual Long Beach Jazz Festival takes over the Rainbow Lagoon Park for three days of music under the sun. Line up includes Dave Koz, Kenny Lattimore and the Sax Pack.
44. Do you listen to My Blood Valentine, Slowdive, and Cocteau Twins? If so you might want to stop by Shugazi 2016 a night of music dedicated to shoegaze music happening in Downtown Long Beach Courtyard Marriott rooftop.
45. Free Museums This Friday
- The Long Beach Museum of Art is free from 3 – 8 p.m every Friday. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.