You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, October 18, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9:30 a.m.] The Natural History Museum’s latest exhibition dives into the scientific inspiration behind some of Hollywoods most terrifying creatures. “Natural History of Horror” opens October 10 and runs through April 19, 2020. It includes rare movie props, film footage, activities and museum specimens.
2. [noon] The Skirball presents Through A Different Lens: Stanley Kubrick Photography opening October 17. Before he became one of the most prolific directors of our time he was a 17-year old man who in 1945 sold his first photograph to the magazine Look. The public will see photos, many of them unpublished all exposing New York life through the eyes of Kubrick. The exhibit closes March 8, 2020.
3. [1 p.m.] The Haunted 2: Welcome Foolish Mortals is an art exhibit inspired by places like the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. Marvel at creepy animatronic works alongside paintings, sculptures, and jewelry. Happening at The Hive Gallery in Downtown Los Angeles the exhibit will run October 6 through November 3 and is free to view. FREE
4. [5 p.m.] Estrella Jalisco and Wisdome LA come together for A New Día, an immersive art installation inside four geodesic domes that reimagines and celebrates the Day of the Dead.
5. [6 p.m.] The currently under construction Lucas Museum of Narrative Art in Exposition Park, presents Lucas Nights: The Art of the Card—Tarot and Lotería. The evening will feature tarot and Lotería card making, conversations, tarot readings, Lotería games, raffles, a DJ, food trucks, and a cash bar. This is a 21+ event. FREE
6. [6 p.m.] Get up close and personal with sharks at the Aquarium of the Pacific during Shark Lagoon Nights. Guests will have the opportunity to touch bamboo sharks and view large sharks in an after hours setting. FREE
7. [7 p.m.] The Sivley family is back for their 48th year of hosting the award winning, Beware the Dark Realm a haunted house experience in the city of Santa Clarita. The haunt will run every Friday and Saturday thorough the end of the month. FREE
8. [7:30 p.m.] Don’t Tell Comedy pops up in Mar Vista and Santa Monica this weekend at secret locations with some of the biggest names in comedy. Performers are kept under wraps and the location will be emailed to all ticket holders. BYOB!
9. [8 p.m.] Ace Hotel Celebrates their 20th Anniversary on Friday by throwing a party at the majestic Theatre at Ace Hotel Downtown L.A. The lineup includes Japanese composer Ryuichi Sakamoto, performance artist serpentwithfeet, and experimental artist Zola Jesus. The party keeps going with an after party with DJ tunes. Proceeds from ticket sales will go to Urban Artworks, Sanctuary Art Center and Art Corps, three Seattle-based non-profit organizations supporting the growth of young artists and creative entrepreneurs.
10. [various] The Second City will host the Los Angeles Diversity in Comedy Festival from October 17-20 celebrating performers of diverse backgrounds across race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity through performances, panels, and workshops.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: The All-Inclusive Experience at OUE Skyspace includes a General Admission Ticket, a ride on the all-glass Skyslide, one Drink at the Skyspace Bar, Viewfinder Brochure, $5 off a purchase of $25 or more in the Skyspace Gift Shop, and $5 off a Memory Maker Photo Package.