You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Tuesday, May 1, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [5 p.m.] Echo Park Eats, a weekly food truck event at the Echo Park Library branch.
2. [7 p.m.] Join José Andrés, Jonathan Gold, Zoeey Deschanel and a slew of other luminaries for The Power of Food: An Evening with José Andrés & Friends taking place at The Wiltern. The event will feature a cook-off, a showcase of rising sous chefs, discussions and a dinner reception.
3. [7 p.m.] Bar Keep Tales is L.A.’s only bartender storytelling show. Set inside our city’s oldest distillery, Greenbar Distillery, guests will listen to hilarious, sad and straight up crazy stories from some of the best local bar keeps in the city.
4. [7:30 p.m.] “The Black Book Vol. V: Hustle & Flow: A Visual Anthology of Black Labor, Work, and Life”presented by Ernest Hardy and Tisa Bryant at the Hammer will assemble a post-hip-hop visual anthology of film and music clips to examine the singular history of black labor, work, and life in America. FREE
5. [8 p.m.] It’s Grunion season here in Los Angeles. Get to know about these silver fish and observe them come up from the beach at night to spawn and lay eggs this Tuesday during Meet the Grunion at the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in San Pedro.
6. [8 p.m.] The Tony and Olivier Award-nominated musical Blues in the Night brings its show stopping production to The Wallis now until May 20. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
7. [8:30 p.m.] E.P. & L.P. in West Hollywood brings back their stylish cinema series Melrose Rooftop Theatre starting on May 1 with a screening of Pretty Woman. Choose to just watch the movie or purchase a three course dinner package before hand. There will be concession style snacks and cocktails for sale as well.
8. [various] Free admission at: Kidspace Children’s Museum (from 4 to 8 p.m.), Natural History Museum and Page Museum at La Brea Tarpits. FREE
9. [various] Visit the Pasadena Showcase House of Design, a majestic Mediterranean masterpiece built in 1915 and designed by distinguished architect Reginald Davis Johnson, from April 22-May 20. The tours have been going strong since 1948, it’s also one of the oldest, largest and most successful house and garden tours in the country.
DEAL OF THE DAY: Get $2.50 tix to the Original Long Beach Lobster Festival (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.