You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, August 1, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [5 p.m.] Beverly Hills’ third annual BOLD Summer kicks off with an extravagant block party on Rodeo Drive this Thursday. The event includes live musical performances, art installations, a champagne garden, food trucks, fireworks and more. Shops will stay open later and the series continues every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday throughout the month with special programing for each week. FREE
2. [5 p.m.] Descanso Gardens hosts Beer Garden Nights welcoming the public into their Courtyard for some brews and some wandering through the gardens during sunset. The series will happen every Thursday through August.
3. [5:30 p.m.] Sizzling Summer Nights at The Autry happens every Thursday. Enjoy live music, dance lessons with an instructor, access to museum galleries, and a separate children’s dance floor, plus tacos, margaritas, and other light refreshments (available for purchase.) Sizzling Nights continue weekly through August 22.
4. [6 p.m.] Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle screens as part of Outdoor Movie Nights at Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza. FREE
5. [6:30 p.m.] The Skirball Cultural Center welcomes it’s twenty-third annual season of Sunset Concerts with The Klezmatics on Thursday. FREE
6. [6:30 p.m.] Enjoy a vintage-style summer evening at the drive-in during San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights at the Lake Balboa Complex. Each evening will offer food trucks, an arcade, live music and more. Kicking off the series is a screening of Indiana Jones And The Raiders of The Lost Ark on Thursday, Harry Potter and the Scorer’s Stone on Friday and Jurassic Park on Saturday. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. [8 p.m.] Apollo 11: The Immersive Live Show retells the tale of the first moon landing using 40,000 square feet of 360-degree graphics beaming from 32 total projectors, and an almost full-scale replica of the mylar-draped Command Module Columbia. And of course the timing couldn’t be more perfect, with the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission coming up later this month. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. [various] Think Tank Gallery is teaming up with Pizzaboyzzz and Future Fantasy Delight to present Nothing Cheezy a pizza-fueled, self-aware, selfie-themed pop-up thats a little bit satire and is intentionally too encompassing to be captured in a picture, thus forcing viewers to live inside the art. This is a ticketed experience that takes guests through the “craziest kitchen you’ve ever seen” and thirteen themed environments plus pizza of course. Open Thursday through Sunday.
9. [various] The Los Angeles Latino International Film Festival (LALIFF) the largest Latinx film festival in Los Angeles will take over the TCL Chinese Theatre and TCL Chinese July 31 through August 4. Co-founded by actor Edward James Olmos, the festival shines a spotlight on US-born Latinx filmmakers through screenings and world premieres, plus shorts, special events, Latinx podcasts and more.
10. [various] The Summer Playwrights Festival will showcase 38 plays in eight days from July 28 through Sunday August 4 at the Road on Lankershim in the Historic Lankershim Arts Center in North Hollywood.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $20 tix to see Lord Huron at the Hollywood Bowl