You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, August 8, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] 260LA will host a triple brand sample sale featuring Joie, Current Elliott and Equipment of women’s ready-to-wear and shoes from August 6-11.
2. [2 p.m.] The first-ever Museum of Weed debuted over the weekend. This 30,000 square foot space of ‘higher learning’ presented by WeedMaps aims to provide insight and history into marijuana through interactive exhibits, Instagram-friendly art installations and a bevy of historical artifacts. The museum is open Wednesday through Sunday. Admission starts at $35.
3. [5:30 p.m.] Sizzling Summer Nights at The Autry happens every Thursday evening through August 22. Enjoy live music, dance lessons with an instructor, access to museum galleries, and a separate children’s dance floor, plus tacos, margaritas, and other light refreshments.
4. [6:30 p.m.] The Skirball Cultural Center welcomes it’s twenty-third annual season of Sunset Concerts with Cha Wa on Thursday. FREE
5. [6:30 p.m.] Enjoy a vintage-style summer evening at the drive-in during San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights at the Lake Balboa Complex. Each evening will offer food trucks, an arcade, live music and more. The series continues with a screening of Born in East L.A. on Thursday, The Goonies on Friday and Grease on Saturday. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. [7 p.m.] There’s a LA River Evening Nature Walk hosted by FOLAR this Thursday. The walk is an opportunity to learn and identify the various flora and fauna that can be found in the area. There is a suggested $5 donation but no one will be turned away due to lack of funds.
7. [7 p.m.] The Wiltern will host the 20th Anniversary Screening of The Matrix and throw a party with video game inspired DJs, themed cocktails and photo opps. Dressing the part is highly encouraged.
8. [7 p.m.] Plática: Q Youth Foundation’s Eastside Queer Stories Festival highlights emerging local LGBTQIA+ Latinx writers happening at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes. FREE
9. [various Think Tank Gallery is teaming up with Pizzaboyzzz and Future Fantasy Delight to present Nothing Cheezy a pizza-fueled, self-aware, selfie-themed pop-up thats a little bit satire and is intentionally too encompassing to be captured in a picture, thus forcing viewers to live inside the art. This is a ticketed experience that takes guests through the “craziest kitchen you’ve ever seen” and thirteen themed environments plus pizza of course. Open all week long.
10. [various] Long Beach’s annual city wide Dine LBC restaurant week August 3-11 will take you on a food exploration in numerous Long Beach neighborhoods. Dozens of participating restaurants are offering special lunch and dinner menus at a discounted price for the occasion.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $21 tix to the Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor (via Goldstar)