Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (August 19-21) includes the Long Beach BBQ Festival, Muse til’ Midnight at LACMA, KCRW Chinatown Summer Nights, Echo Park Rising, the LA Taco Festival, the Plum Festival, the Eagle Rock Music Festival, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday August 19th, 2016
1. The Long Beach BBQ Festival features some of the world’s finest BBQ, including an official KCBS Professional BBQ Competition, live comedy and music, dance floor, children’s area, arts and crafts, cantinas and more. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. Now in it’s 6th annual season, Echo Park Rising (Aug. 18-21) is back with some of the coolest local bands and artist in the city. Headliners for 2016 include Chicano Batman, La Luz, the Weirdos and dozens more. Concerts will be hosted at venues throughout Echo Park and will include multiple music stages. FREE
3. The Chocolate and Art Show Los Angeles Edition comes to The Vortex August 19-20 for an underground art show featuring some amazing up-and-coming artists and chocolate loads and loads of it.
4. The folks at Zocalo Public Square are getting all cinematic on us this summer with an outdoor movie series in downtown Los Angeles. This week they will screen Barbershop. FREE
5. The Queen Mary is one of the best landmarks of Art Deco style, and guests will have a chance to see it in all it’s glory during the 12th annual Art Deco festival occurring from Aug. 19-21. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. Nisei Week is back for it’s 76th year, the Japanese festival will take place in Little Tokyo from August 13-21 with community events, cultural exhibits, performances, tea ceremonies, martial art tournaments and more. FREE
7. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening Thursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. Get your groove on during the West Hollywood Dance Festival at Plummer Park’s Fiesta Hall August 15-20. The six-day celebration of smooth moves will offer free and ticketed performances, workshops, open rehearsals, classes and more.
9. The 12th annual HollyShorts Film Festival is back with screenings of feature films, conferences, parties and more from August 11 through August 20.
10. From workshops to industry panels to actual standup shows there is something there for all comedy lovers during the Burbank Comedy Festival happening August 14-20.
11. A free collaborative celebration of beer, food, music and unique art, Cook, Collaborate and Listen Los Angeles will take over The Container Yard in DTLA this Friday. FREE
12. Pete’s Dragon soars into the El Capitan Theatre with Disneys latest live action tale of a boy and his dragon. Guest can also view a special dragon exhibit featuring Dragons from Disney movies and theme parks including Pete’s Dragon to the purple dragon Figment in Fantasmic at Epcot. DISCOUNTED now through Sunday (via Goldstar)
13. Tease, If You Please Burlesque Show staged at Globe Theatre spotlights acts from some of the most creative dancers in the business. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center is a all ages free movie screening by the water. This week they will screen Inside Out. FREE
15. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
16. Dance Downtown will offer an open air dance floor with beginner dance lessons taught by top Los Angeles dance instructors alongside a live band or DJ. This week it will be salsa at The Music Center Plaza! FREE
17. Odd Nights At The Autry feature a collection of over 200 vendors from 20 gourmet food trucks, a beer garden, custom handmade treasures and live local bands.
18. Creatures of Comfort is having a warehouse sale on Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Score up to 80% off women’s ware, shoes, accessories and more. Location: 7971 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles 90046.
19. Presented by Arts Brookfield every Friday night the FIGat7th plaza will host free concerts for the public spanning multiple music genres all summer. FREE
Saturday August 20th, 2016
20. Every year the LA Taco Festival hopes to solve the problem of youth homelessness one taco at a time. The annual free event is set to return to Grand Park and this years list of participating taco vendors offering tacos for purchase is looking strong with Kogi, Mexicali Taco & Co., Tacos Super Gallito, Danny’s Tacos, and more.
21. The Electric Dusk Drive-In is back at a new location on Fletcher Street at the LACCD Van De Kamp college campus complete with an astroturf outdoor seating area. Bring a car or come with lawn chairs this week (500) Days of Summer will be screened. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. KCRW Summer Nights comes to Chinatown Central Plaza with music by KCRW DJs Jason Bentley and Mathieu Schreyer. Be sure to check out a interesting panel discussion about American Chinese food. Following the panel will be a live cooking throw down of one of the most famous American Chinese dishes “General Tso’s Chicken” with chefs from Rice Bar, Amboy and more. Shortly after folks can step inside a giant Panda Express take out box for free samples of their new General Tso’s Chicken dish. FREE
23. HUSHfest is coming to the Santa Monica Pier. The silent disco party lets patrons groove along to a ocean backdrop while live DJs stream on multiple channels through headphones.
24. Street Food Cinema has screenings of two movies this Saturday. Stand By Me (discounted) at Syd Kronenthal Park and Clue (discounted) at Glendale Central Park. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar).
25. The Eagle Rock Music Festival returns with 40 musicians and artists on 8 stages along Colorado Boulevard between Eagle Rock Boulevard and Argus Drive this Saturday. FREE (suggested donation of $10)
26. The live #NYXFACEAwards finale will feature beauty vlogger finalists competing for the “Beauty Vlogger of the Year” Award at The Novo LA in Downtown. FREE
27. LACMA will be celebrating men’s fashion and teaming up with L.A.’s premier party persona Rhonda INTL this Saturday, for their annual Muse ’til Midnight!
28. The Redondo Pier Association will once again sponsor the biggest free summer concert series in the South Bay. Featuring 20 bands throughout the summer every Thursday and Saturday from July 2 to September 3. FREE
29. Get a taste of Old Hollywood and sip on classic cocktails with the Historic Hollywood: Stars & Bars Gang as they recall Hollywood tales and history. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. Grand Performances in DTLA will host a performance by Kiosk with special guest Ardeshir Farah. FREE
31. North Hollywood’s free outdoor summer movie series continues at Victory Vineland Rec Center with a screening of Gravity at 8:30 p.m. FREE
32. Once Upon a Canyon Night brings together nature and art for a series of performances in the S. Mark Taper Foundation Amphitheater nestled among the trees July 23 through September 17. This weekend is the sketch show Wild Tracks – Tales From The Booth hosted by Fred Willard.
33. Comic Anthony Jeslnik will take the stage at the iconic Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip with some very special guests this Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
34. The Redondo Pier Association will once again sponsor the biggest free summer concert series in the South Bay. Featuring 20 bands throughout the summer every Thursday and Saturday from July 2 to September 3. FREE
35. Eat|See|Hear is back with a screening of Goonies. Check for discounted tickets before you make your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. Union Station will play host to Live Nation’s Ones To Watch concert series, co-presented by KROQ’s Locals Only. This week music will be provided by Lauv and Pretty Sister. FREE
37. Catch a free rooftop screening of Hook this Satruday at Rooftop Cinema Series in Pasadena. There will be a DJ, food trucks and more. FREE
38. Joes Jeans is hosting a one day warehouse sale this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Discounts start at 75% off and go up to 95% on men, women’s and kids denim and more. Location: 2340 So. Eastern Ave., Commerce, CA 90040.
39. Lemonade will be celebrating National Lemonade Day on August 20, with six new lemonade flavors, served for FREE for one day only at all locations throughout California, while supplies last. Stop by from 2 to 5 p.m. to receive your free 12 ounce lemonade. FREE
40. Progress Brewing, South El Monte’s first microbrewery will host a skateboarding and beer party in their parking lot with music, food, a screening and more. FREE
41. Score items for as low as $10 during Line + Dot’s sample sale. Happening from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. the sale is CASH ONLY. Location: 2807 S. Santa Fe Ave. Vernon, CA 90058.
42. The 10th Annual Leimert Park Village Book Fair will have over 200 notable African-American literary authors and a packed schedule of activities. Expect Zane, Meagan Good and even Bobby Brown to make apperances with their new boks. The free event is open to the public. FREE
43. Project Social T will be hosting a sample sale out of their headquarters. Prices for women’s and junior’s tees, tanks, bottoms and sweatshirts will be starting at $5. Keep in mind that its cash only.
Sunday August 21st, 2016
44. Celebrate all things plum along with the fruit’s ties to German culture at the 21st annual Plum Festival taking place at the Old World German restaurant in Huntington Beach on Sunday. Don’t miss out on the Pflaumenkuchen a German plum cake.
45. Forest Lawn in Glendale is offering FREE guided mausoleum art tours this Sunday. The tours will guide guests to famous-inspired art works within the property. FREE
46. The Jazz on the Lawn summer concert series returns to Santa Monica at Seward Street Park with family-friendly events, live music, food trucks, and lots of summertime fun. FREE
47. Venice bar The Lincoln will once again host their monthly “Dog Day Afternoon” featuring puppy adoption, hot dogs and drink specials that will help support the Best Friends Animal Society’s No-Kill LA Initiative, as well as Designer Dog Rescue. In addition, all cash donations for the charities will be matched by the bar. Guests also welcome to bring their pooches to the patio, as the bar will offer dog treats, water bowls and toys.
48. Pasadena POPS Concert Series presents Cole Porter Night at The Los Angeles County Arboretum.
49 It’s pay what you can at the Craft and Folk Art Museum on Sunday.
50. The Museum of Latin American Art is free on Sundays. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].