Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Aug. 22 to Friday, Aug. 26, features Malibu Rocks Hollywood, the Los Angeles Food & Wine Fest, LA Mag’s Burgers Bourbon + Beer, a South Park experience, Night Dive at the LB Aquarium, an adults-only slumber party at NHM and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday August 22nd, 2016
1. Glee musical director Brad Ellis breaths life into favorite Broadway show tunes at the Rockwell: Table & Stage in Los Feliz. A talented group of singers will take the stage performing hits from classic musicals, as well as independent productions. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2 .The folks that bring you the Malibu Guitar Festival are taking over Lucky Strike Live for Malibu Rocks Hollywood. FREE
3. Hot Tub with Kurt & Kristen at The Virgil featuring a lineup that includes Megan Gailey, Mike Lawrence, John McKay, Jordan Temple and Emma Willmann.
4. Come on out to Angel City Brewery in DTLA’s Arts District as they host one epic game night that includes 15+ Board Games, 8+ beers on tap, a 3-round cornhole Tournament and one geeky host. FREE
5. Every week the the team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony with Magic Monday at The Santa Monica Playhouse. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Tuesday August 23rd, 2016
6. Sweet Rose Creamery in Studio City is hosting free summer screenings every Tuesday. This week they will screen Goonies. FREE
7. Moonlight Movies on the Beach screenings take place at Granada Beach in Belmont Shore. This week it’s Inside Out. FREE
8. Food truck night at the California Heritage Museum features a big selection of tasty food trucks (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.) FREE
9. Reggie Watts and his band Karen play a set at the El Cid while Skin & Bones warm up the crowd. Admission is just $10.
10. See the world’s greatest beach volleyball players during The World Series of Beach Volleyball taking place August 23-28 at Alamitos Beach in Long Beach. The five day event is free and open to the public with the option of premium ticketed seating. FREE
Wednesday August 24th, 2016
11. LA Magazine is hosting its first-annual Burgers Bourbon + Beer event and competition this Wednesday at The Victorian in Santa Monica.
12. Shakespeare in the Park offers free donation-based Shakespeare performance at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park this month “The Tempest” will run Wednesdays through Sundays. FREE
13. Above Sixty is hosting a FREE movie night every Wednesday now through Sept. 28. This week they will screen Back to the Future. FREE
14. Enjoy a sunset nature walk! Every Wednesday through out the month of August, Descanso Gardens will provide free admission from 5 – 8 p.m. FREE
15. The South Park 20 Experience comes to The Paley Center in Beverly Hills. Opening day is this Wednesday (noon-5 p.m.) just in time to celebrate the 20-year anniversary of the show. FREE
16. The House of Red Velvet returns to Bar Lubitsch following several sold out shows. Designed to be a surrealistic and euphoric performance art piece, the show can only be described as a fetish performance that blurs the line between erotic and disturbing.
17. Taste of Downtown Long Beach gives locals a chance to sample a variety of food and drinks from various restaurants from Downtown Long Beach. It’s free to attend and you can participate in the tastings by purchasing tickets.
Thursday August 25th, 2016
18. The Los Angeles Food & Wine festival takes over Los Angeles August 25-28 featuring some of L.A.’s most acclaimed chefs and restaurants for a four-day event that’ll delight any foodie.
19. The Comedy Comedy Festival is a four-day laugh fest bringing together Asian-American comedic talent for performances and panel discussions at the Japanese American Cultural, Community Center (JACCC) and Aratani Theatre from August 25-28 in Little Tokyo.
20. In honor of the upcoming “The Taste” event on Labor Day weekend LA Times Test Kitchen Director Noelle Carter hosts “Taste Bingo” this Thursday from 6 – 10 p.m. at Grand Central Market. FREE
21. Take a three-hour Downtown Los Angeles Food Walking Tour thats part history, architecture, and food! You’ll get plenty of chances to grab a bite from seven unique eateries so come hungry. Happening Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. Classical Nights at the Hollywood Bowl with the LA Philharmonic concert series continues with the theme Cinematic Sounds. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. As part of KCRW Summer Nights the Twilight Concerts at Santa Monica Pier will feature Save Ferris Hosted by KCRW DJ Jeremy Sole 7-10 p.m. FREE
24. The Redondo Pier Association will once again sponsor the biggest free summer concert series in the South Bay. Featuring 20 bands throughout the summer every Thursday and Saturday from July 2 to September 3. FREE
25. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens Flash Gordon this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening Thursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. Skirball Cultural Center is hosting their 20th annual Sunset Concerts series featuring an array of contemporary and experimental artists showcasing sounds from a variety of genres. FREE
28. Renée Petropoulos will perform Cheek By Jowl’ in the Courtyard of Hauser Wirth & Schimmel this Thursday. The performance is a response to the inaugural exhibition ‘Revolution in the Making: Abstract Sculpture by Women, 1947 – 2016.’ This event is free, but reservations are required. FREE
29. The 2016 Naples Island Street Fair returns this Thursday with a free event on Naples Island in Long Beach complete with food, music, raffles, sidewalk sales, live music, and family fun activities. FREE
30. Web series SEX: A Horror Story is coming to the Nerdist Showroom. The show invites comedians to do a stand-up set and then tell a terrifying ‘Sex Horror Story’ to the audience and host Jenny Zigrino.
31. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
32. Free Museums This Thursday
- The Japanese American National Museum offers free admission from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. every Thursday. FREE
- Every Thursday evening from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. admission is free to both the MOCA on Grand and The Geffen Contemporary. FREE
- The Skirball Cultural Center is free to all every Thursday. FREE
Friday August 26th, 2016
33. ‘Night Dive’ is billed as an ode to summer with upbeat music, a look into the laid-back surf culture and fun after-hours experiences, all taking place at Southern California’s largest aquarium.
34. Free country style block party Round Up returns to L.A. LIVE this Friday. Highlights include line dancing, live musical performances, mechanical bull rides and more. FREE
35. The Dodgers will celebrate The Beatles this Friday with a pre-game tribute concert by the Fab Four. Folks will leave with a commemorative towel and a post game fireworks show. This week Dodgers play the Chicago Cubs. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. The Natural History Museum is once again hosting an adult-only slumber party the over night experience includes food, alcohol, tours, live music, movie screening and even a breakfast buffet!
37. The L.A. Zoo’s annual Roaring Nights, is back with an awesome assortment of music, food trucks, animal encounters, new exhibits and more. This months music theme is Indie Night.
38. Barnsdall Park’s Friday Night Wine Tasting happens all summer long. Guests will enjoy fine wine, art in the gardens and and live music.
39. Outdoor Films Off 110 hosted at The Park DTLA will screen Star Wars The Force Awakens. Pets are welcome, bring your own pillows, chairs and blankets. Chancho’s Tacos food truck, and live music will get the party started.
40. Friday Flights at The Getty is a free summer series with music, special projects, dance, film and more. This program includes a collaborative project by artist David Horvitz and musician Xiu Xiu, a performative lecture by Martine Syms, bassoon and vocal collaboration between Archie Carey and Odeya Nini presented by wild Up, and Laurel Jenkins (choreographer) presents B A S E (a durational rule game). FREE
41. Dance Downtown will offer an open air dance floor with beginner dance lessons taught by top Los Angeles dance instructors alongside a live band or DJ. FREE
42. Presented by Riko Method School of Piano, Social Hour UNPLUGGED a monthly live music event at music venue Salle Scarlatti in Atwater Village features live music and complimentary wine, coffee and tea. Tickets are not required, but seating is limited so RSVP through the event the Facebook page. FREE
43. Free Museums This Friday
- The Long Beach Museum of Art is free from 3 – 8 p.m every Friday. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at email@example.com.