Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, August 27 to Friday, August 31, features Madferit!, Ghostbusters in VR, Cinecon Film Fest, L.A. Times The Taste, the start of the L.A. County Fair, and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday August 27th, 2018
1. Get energized by a full, 75-minute yoga session as the sun sets and the full moon appears when Bender brings a special yoga session to the rooftop of Row DTLA this Monday. Yoga class includes refreshments, a live DJ, chair massages by Papa & Barkley, and get tarot card readings from Receptive Tarot.
2. L.A. Dragon Studios located in the valley is a all you can play gaming center with VR, Escape Rooms, and an Arcade all for a flat fee of $10. Open seven days a week.
3. Start your week with a free Jam Session at the Ford Theatres. This week’s focus: Flamenco Dance. FREE
4. Yogis and animal lovers finally have the perfect workout activity thanks to Golden Road Brewery. Goat Yoga on the Lawn is going down this Monday at their L.A. location.
5. A Yeti Village has been constructed on Hollywood and Vine in anticipation for the movie SMALLFOOT. Designed to look like winter, visitors of all ages can dance in a blizzard, swing on a cloud, ride a 20-foot slide, play in a snowball pit, sing karaoke, do arts and crafts and more. The family-friendly experience is free to attend and runs through September 14, 2018. FREE
Tuesday August 28th, 2018
6. There’s two new hyper-realistic VR experience at The VOID in Glendale a Ghostbusters themed experience and a scarier Nicodemus: Demon of Evanishment experience. Experiences run on different days, be sure to check their schedule.
7. Rooftop Cinema Club returns to the rooftops of LEVEL in DTLA and NeueHouse in Hollywood with multiple screenings this week that include Coming to America, The Breakfast Club and more.
8. Pasadena Playhouse presents In Conversation: Jason Alexander this Tuesday, giving the audiences a peek into the new comedy Native Gardens by Karen Zacarías and directed by Alexander performing September 5 through 30.
9. Movie Nights at Tropicana Bar located at The Hollywood Roosevelt hotel will throw Angelenos a movie night series every Tuesday night from 8 to 11 p.m. from June till September 3 by the David Hockney painted Tropicana Pool. Screening this week is The Big Lebowski.
10. Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema comes to a close this week. Angelenos can indulge in a luxury outdoor movie experience by the pool with a Cipriani menu, classic movie snacks and mini bottles of Moët & Chandon Champagne. The Goonies will be screened this week.
Wednesday August 29th, 2018
11. Head to Zebulon this Wednesday for Madferit!, a dance party celebrating all things in the world of British music boasting Brit Pop, Mod and Northern Soul, Baggy and Acid House, Shoegaze, music from 4AD, Stiff Records, Creation Records, and much, much more. Free admission.
12. Back for the 15th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with free performances of A Mid Summer Nights Dream and Titus Andronicus Wednesday through Sunday. This is the last week to catch performances. FREE
13. E.P. & L.P. in West Hollywood continues their stylish cinema series Melrose Rooftop Theatre with a screening of The Usual Suspects this week.
14. It’s trivia night at Grand Central Market this Wednesday on the Broadway side of the food hall.
15. Downtown Long Beach Alliance (DLBA) host its last Taste of Downtown on August 29 and 30 featuring restaurant samples of signature dishes, live music, craft beer and a fireworks display on Wednesday. Admission is free and open to the public. Tickets are sold in one dollar increments to partake in food sampling.
16. 260LA is hosting a sample sale with clothing brand Parker and cosmetics brand Stila from August 29 through September 1.
17. Sweet Rose Creamery concludes their free summer movie series with a screening of Up in their patio at the Studio City location. FREE
Thursday August 30th, 2018
18. Cinecon Classic Film Festival at Hollywood’s Egyptian Theatre (August 30 to September 3) is 5-days of classic film screenings, celebrity appearances, panels, a memorabilia show, and more.
19. Enjoy free family-friendly outdoor movies in Malibu thanks to Screen on the Green at Trancas Country Market every Thursday through September 13. This week Ghostbusters will be screened. FREE
20. The night market at hilltop Asian restaurant Yamashiro back for 2018 every Thursday, from 5 to 9 p.m., through September 27. Angelenos can enjoy a farmers market, freshly prepared foods and Yamashiro’s unbeatable views of Hollywood.
21. Skirball’s annual Sunset Concert Series comes to close this week with a performance by Gili Yalo. FREE
22. Celebrate canines during Dog Days of Summer at the Hammer Museum. This week enjoy a free film screening of Turner and Hooch. FREE
23. Baldwin Hills Crenshaw is hosting free movie screenings this summer alongside live music, fun games and food trucks. The series concludes with Love & Basketball. FREE
24. Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday August 31st, 2018
25. L.A. Times The Taste returns to Paramount Studios (August 31 to September 2) with tastings from some of the best chefs in Los Angeles selected by The Time and demos, pop-ups and chef experiences.
26. The L.A. County Fair returns to Pomona for a enormous assortment of activities, musical performances, food and beverage offerings, and more. The fair runs through September 23. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. West Adams Avenues Jazz and Music Festival is three nights of music including jazz, blues, funk and more, as well as activities, arts and crafts, and food trucks. FREE
28. L.A. Fleet Week is back from August 31-September 3. Hosted at Los Angeles Cruise Terminal in San Pedro the event will feature various military ships, guided tours, military demonstrations, live entertainment, aerial demonstrations and more. Plenty of venues will also be participating including Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, CRAFTED at the Port of Los Angeles, and 22nd Street Park. FREE
29. Barnsdall Fridays at Barnsdall Art Park comes to a close this Friday evening with tastings of boutique wines and music from KCRW DJs perched atop a hill with incredible city views.
30. The La Brea Tar Pits and Museum will host Late Night Fridays where guests can enjoy free general admission from 5 to 8 p.m. and gain access to special activities, 3D movies, behind-the-scenes tours, live excavations, and more. FREE
31. Friday Night Fireworks at Dodger Stadium will feature a dazzling fireworks show on the field after the game paired with music. This week the boys in blue will go up against the San Diego Padres. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
32. The 626 Night Market is back for its seventh season at Santa Anita Park. Happening Aug. 31 through September 2, the event will feature over 250 vendors selling crafts, merchandise, art, music and a massive selection of food from local restaurants, food trucks and more.
33. The Roadium in Torrance presents Classic Drive-in Movies every Friday night in August and the first Friday of September. Each family-friendly event features classic films projected on the screen tower. Continuing the series is a screening of The Endless Summer.
34. The Music Center’s annual Dance DTLA series is back for 2018 with a series of Friday-night events at Grand Park. This week features DJ Nights, an evening of entertainment curated by some of the city’s best and most influential DJs. FREE
35. Are you a Chase bank customer? Got a freebie you might want to know about. Coolhaus is teaming with the Forum and Chase to hand out free ice cream sandwiches to Chase customers on Fridays all summer long. Locations will change every Friday, and the offer is ice cream sandwich per cardholder. Get more info here.
Food Pick for the Week
This week’s pick by Christina Champlin, Co-Founder of We Like L.A.
Pollen is a casual Aussie eatery which opened this past December on the corner of Echo Park Avenue and Baxter Street. The vibe is low-key. The atmosphere serene. The menu eclectic. Pollen recently claimed title of the “Most Loved Local Brunch Spot” by Time Out Los Angeles, and I strongly recommend an order of the Lemon & Poppy Pancakes, which come topped with blueberry jam, dusted with powdered sugar and lightly drizzled with syrup. If you’re a fan of avocado toast, try Pollen’s Mushroom Toast, a savory umami version of the trendy favorite.
Pollen is located at 2100 Echo Park Ave Los Angeles, CA 90026
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at email@example.com