You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, August 22, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] Due to popular demand, the Annenberg Space for Photography’s exhibit – Contact High: A Visual History of Hip-Hop – is extending its run through Sunday, August 25. Free and open to the public, the exhibit includes photos of hip-hop icons like Notorious B.I.G. and Jay-Z, an interactive record shop, and a documentary on the history of this popular music genre. FREE
2. [2 p.m.] Pennywise returns to Hollywood with a second terrifying, immersive event. The Derry Canal Days Festival will open to the public on August 15 at the corner of Hollywood and Vine, drawing from the forthcoming IT Chapter Two, which hits theaters on September 6. There will be 10 different interactive spaces over the course of a whole 40 minutes for each guests to enjoy. FREE
3. [2 p.m.] The first-ever Museum of Weed is now open in Los Angeles. This 30,000 square foot space of ‘higher learning’ presented by WeedMaps aims to provide insight and history into marijuana through interactive exhibits, Instagram-friendly art installations and a bevy of historical artifacts. The museum is open Wednesday through Sunday. Admission starts at $35.
4. [5:30 p.m.] Sizzling Summer Nights at The Autry concludes this week. Enjoy live music, dance lessons with an instructor, access to museum galleries, and a separate children’s dance floor, plus tacos, margaritas, and other light refreshments.
5. [5:30 p.m.]The Skirball Cultural Center concludes it’s twenty-third annual season of Sunset Concerts with Josef Leimberg on Thursday. FREE
6. [6 p.m.] On Thursday there’s a double feature of Beetlejuice & Edward Scissorhands at the Queen Mary summer movie night series. FREE
7. [7 p.m.] Plática: The Role of LGBTQIA+ Social Media Influencers in Today’s World, a panel discussion with queer influencers that looks into the affects of today’s social media-driven society. Happening at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes. FREE
8. [7 p.m.] Back for the 16th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with free performances of either Pericles or Twelfth NightWednesday through Sunday. FREE
9. [various] L.A. Food & Wine 2019 kicks off on Thursday with a selection of special dinners at restaurants across the city. August 23-25 the focus shifts to the Barker Hangar at Santa Monica Airport for three days of themed-out events and tastings hosted by top chefs.
10. [various] Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $17 tix to Mozart Under the Stars at the Hollywood Bowl (via Goldstar)
The Best Things to do in L.A., straight to your inbox! Sign Up For Our Email List And You Receive...
- Two emails a week, Monday AM and Thursday AM.
- Monday: The best of the week ahead. 30+ ideas.
- Thursday: What to do this weekend. 30+ ideas.
- Occasional emails with special offers and messages from promotional parters.
- Optional emails for daily to-dos, travel tips, food recommendations, and deals.Basically, just think of us as your friend making some fun suggestions for what you might like to check out this day or week or month in L.A. Sign-up in the form below to join over 66,000 Angelenos who already subscribe!