Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (Aug. 26-28) includes LA Zoo Roaring Nights, LA Food & Wine, FYF Fest, a ‘Go Topless Day’ in Venice, the San Pedro Bacon & Beer Fest, a LEGO fan fest in Pasadena, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday August 26th, 2016
1. The L.A. Zoo’s annual Roaring Nights, is back with an awesome assortment of music, food trucks, animal encounters, new exhibits and more. This months music theme is Indie Night. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. ‘Night Dive’ is billed as an ode to summer with upbeat music, a look into the laid-back surf culture and fun after-hours experiences, all taking place at Southern California’s largest aquarium.
3. The Los Angeles Food & Wine festival takes over Los Angeles August 25-28 featuring some of L.A.’s most acclaimed chefs and restaurants for a four-day event that’ll delight any foodie.
4. Free country style block party Round Up returns to L.A. LIVE this Friday. Highlights include line dancing, live musical performances, mechanical bull rides and more. FREE
5. The Natural History Museum is once again hosting an adult-only slumber party the over night experience includes food, alcohol, tours, live music, movie screening and even a breakfast buffet!
6. The Comedy Comedy Festival is a four-day laugh fest bringing together Asian-American comedic talent for performances and panel discussions at the Japanese American Cultural, Community Center (JACCC) and Aratani Theatre from August 25-28 in Little Tokyo.
7. Dog Haus celebrates their 20th store opening with free Haus Dogs given out at the original location in Pasadena this Friday. Location: 105 N Hill Ave Ste 104 Pasadena, CA 91106. FREE7
8. Barnsdall Park’s Friday Night Wine Tasting happens all summer long. Guests will enjoy fine wine, art in the gardens and and live music.
9. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. Outdoor Films Off 110 hosted at The Park DTLA will screen Star Wars The Force Awakens. Pets are welcome, bring your own pillows, chairs and blankets. Chancho’s Tacos food truck, and live music will get the party started.
11. Friday Flights at The Getty is a free summer series with music, special projects, dance, film and more. This program includes a collaborative project by artist David Horvitz and musician Xiu Xiu, a performative lecture by Martine Syms, bassoon and vocal collaboration between Archie Carey and Odeya Nini presented by wild Up, and Laurel Jenkins (choreographer) presents B A S E (a durational rule game). FREE
12. See the world’s greatest beach volleyball players during The World Series of Beach Volleyball taking place August 23-28 at Alamitos Beach in Long Beach. The five day event is free and open to the public with the option of premium ticketed seating. FREE
13. Dance Downtown will offer an open air dance floor with beginner dance lessons taught by top Los Angeles dance instructors. Closing out the summer series will be Cut Chemist. FREE
14. Shakespeare in the Park offers free donation-based Shakespeare performance at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park this month “The Tempest” will run Wednesdays through Sundays. FREE
15. Presented by Riko Method School of Piano, Social Hour UNPLUGGED a monthly live music event at music venue Salle Scarlatti in Atwater Village features live music and complimentary wine, coffee and tea. Tickets are not required, but seating is limited so RSVP through the event the Facebook page. FREE
16. The Monrow Sample Sale is this Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. save 50%-80% on men’s, women’s and children’s apparel at their Cooper Building showroom. Location: 860 S. Los Angeles St., # 200 Los Angeles 90014
17. Free Museums This Friday
- The Long Beach Museum of Art is free from 3 – 8 p.m every Friday. FREE
Saturday August 27th, 2016
18. FYF Fest returns to DTLA August 27-28 with a musical line up of super cool acts like Kendrick Lamar, Tame Impala, LCD Soundsystem, Grace Jones, Beach House, and Father John Misty to name a few.
19. The Electric Dusk Drive-In is back at a new location on Fletcher Street at the LACCD Van De Kamp college campus complete with an astroturf outdoor seating area. Bring a car or come with lawn chairs this week Sixteen Candles will be screened. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. Brews and bacon are two of life’s greatest pleasures and they’re only made better when combined at the San Pedro Beer and Bacon Festival taking place on the USS Iowa Battleship this Saturday August 27. Huge bonus we just found half off tickets check it out. DISCOUNTED
21. Come dine and discuss with fellow hobbits, wizards, dwarves, elves, and the occasional men at a feast that celebrate the world of Middle Earth during Whimsic Alley’s Hobbit Dinner happening this Saturday. Tickets are $70 and include dinner, open bar, and live entertainment. Reserve your ticket over the phone or in the store.
22. Watch a movie inside the British Burlington Arcade during Float’s Annual CineRamaDena a free summer screening series. This week they will screen Chef. FREE
23. The Brick Fest Live LEGO Experience is headed to the Pasadena Convention Center August 27-28. Admire LEGO creations or build your own there will also be trivia, video games and collaborative projects. Before making your purchase check for discounted tickets on Goldstar. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. Get a taste of the funky, tart, and sour during the San Gabriel Valley Sour Beer Festival happening at 38 Degrees Ale House & Grill in Monrovia. No cover charge so treat yourself! FREE
25. Street Food Cinema has screenings of two movies this Saturday. The Princess Bride at Will Rogers State Park, La Bamba at Glendale Central Park (discounted) and Pretty in Pink at Victory Park (discounted). DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar).
26. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening Thursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. The Venice Beach Music Fest is back for 2016 come out for a day-long celebration of music and the arts. Expect kombucha tastings and a LED electric light parade cause Venice. FREE
28. Artists, musicians, and foodies will come together for the first annual Art in the Park fine art and crafts festival in Huntington Beach this Saturday. FREE
29. Head to Beverly Hills for the inaugural NEXT NIGHT block party celebrating the community and businesses of the iconic city. The 200 block of South Beverly Drive will be transformed into a pedestrian only zone featuring live music, food trucks, restaurant specials, a beer & wine garden, and pop-up shops by local makers. FREE
30. Union Station will play host to Live Nation’s Ones To Watch concert series, co-presented by KROQ’s Locals Only. This week music will be provided by The Aces and DJ Grant Owens. FREE
31. To mark their 10-year anniversary Corey Helford Gallery will host their 10th Anniversary Gala exhibition this Saturday displaying new works from over 100 artists. The gala is free and open to the public from 7 to 11 p.m. FREE
32. The Redondo Pier Association will once again sponsor the biggest free summer concert series in the South Bay. Featuring 20 bands throughout the summer every Thursday and Saturday from July 2 to September 3. FREE
33. North Hollywood’s free outdoor summer movie series continues at Victory Vineland Rec Center with a screening of Cinderella at 8:30 p.m. FREE
34. Once Upon a Canyon Night brings together nature and art for a series of performances in the S. Mark Taper Foundation Amphitheater nestled among the trees July 23 through September 17. This weekend is a family screening of ZOOTOPIA.
35. Comic Orny Adams will take the stage at the iconic Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip with some very special guests this Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
37. Every summer The Getty presents Saturdays Off the 405 a free live music evening with some of the best up and coming bands in music. This weekend Diane Coffee will perform, tickets are not required.
38. SHFT will host a full day of wellness workshops, yoga, music and prizes in Santa Monica. FREE
39. Interested in trying improv? or maybe writing a musical? Good news! Second City Hollywood is having an open house with free workshops and they’ll also have free shows for those who rather be entertained 😉 Reservations are recommended. FREE
40. Nine-time Grammy winner Eddie Palmieri will perform at the Marina del Rey Summer Concerts at Burton Chace Park. Performance is free to the public. FREE
41. Shopaholic is having a sample sales to celebrate their anniversary. The sale takes place at both locations and prices will be slashed 65% to 85% off.
Sunday August 28th, 2016
42. After you get your grub on at Smorgasburg, stop by ROW DTLA (in the same center) for Art Exposé featuring emerging artists, live painting, art installations, music, beer, wine and more. This event is free with RSVP. FREE
43. Restaurant and bar Killer Shrimp hosts its annual Killer Rides show featuring hotrods, classics cars, and bikes on Sunday in Marina del Rey. Bonus: Don’t forget to grab a free hot dog from Tail o’ the Pup! FREE
44. The women’s rights organization, GoTopless, will host topless pride parades in more than 60 cities, including Los Angeles in Venice Beach, on August 28. FREE
45. The Jazz on the Lawn summer concert series returns to Santa Monica at Seward Street Park with family-friendly events, live music, food trucks, and lots of summertime fun. FREE
46. To help soften the blow of summers end, Long Beach Creamery will host a parking lot party featuring food, a dance floor, live music and more. FREE
47. The Theatricum’s Botanicum Seedlings celebrates its 15th anniversary with a free reading of a new play about families dealing with contemporary issues called Still Life. FREE
48. The South Park 20 Experience opened over the week at The Paley Center in Beverly Hills. Check out the foul mouth characters 20 years of anitics in celebration of their milestone. FREE
49 It’s pay what you can at the Craft and Folk Art Museum on Sunday.
50. The Museum of Latin American Art is free on Sundays. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].