Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, May 14 to Friday, May 18, features PAWS Cat Yoga, Beyond the Streets, LA Times Food Bowl Night Market, The Autry After Hours, Grunion Fish-tival, Venice Art Crawl, Uncorked Wine Festival, WhedonCon 2018 and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday May 14th, 2018
1. ARTXFOOD, a nightly series of communal meals merging the worlds of art and cuisine, will take place at Goya Studios in Hollywood every evening from May 11 through June 3. Top Chef All Stars winner Richard Blais will create the food, while L.A. artist Greg Ito creates art that will surround you during the evening.
2. E.P. & L.P. in West Hollywood continues their stylish cinema series Melrose Rooftop Theatre with several screenings this week that include Almost Famous, I Tonya, Get Out and Love Actually .
3. Hot Tub With Kurt And Kristen at The Virgil is one of the most popular weekly variety shows happening on a Monday in Los Angeles.
4. Happening every Monday, Trivia Night at Southland Beer starts at 8:30 p.m. and first prize winners get $25 off your bar tab and $10 off for the second place team.
5.CatCafe Lounge just launched PAWS Yoga a restorative yoga class where you’ll get your namaste in while hanging out with adorable cats!
6. The Museum of Failure in Hollywood and Highland includes epic failures like Juicero, Facebook Gifts, Pets.com, and Google Wave. There’s also an entire section dedicated to Hollywood with some of the industry’s biggest fails. Happening all week. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. There’s a Nintendo 64 Tournament (Super Smash Bros. & Mario Kart) at Arts District Brewing Co. on Monday from 4 to 9 p.m.
Tuesday May 15th, 2018
8. Beyond the Streets is a fully immersive exhibition of street and graffiti art comprised of over 30 artist in a massive 40,000+ square feet exhibits. Artist are an eclectic mix of street and beyond including Retna, Shepard Fairey, Kenny Scharf Dennis Hopper and Jenny Holzer. Open Tuesday through Sunday this week.
9. Greenbar Distillery hosts whisky tastings at their distillery in Downtown Los Angeles where you get to taste six kinds of whisky and learn how to identify a scotch, rye, bourbon and more.
10. Rooftop Cinema Club returns to the rooftops of The Montalban in Hollywood and LEVEL in DTLA with multiple screenings this week that include Girls Trip, It, No Country for Old Men and more.
11. Online upscale consignment company Luxury Garage Sale (LSG) will pop-up IRL for a 30-day run in Los Angeles. The first location will launch Tuesday, May 15 at the Westfield Century City Mall, and a second will open Friday, June 1 at Westfield Topanga & The Village.
12. Visit the Pasadena Showcase House of Design, a majestic Mediterranean masterpiece built in 1915 and designed by distinguished architect Reginald Davis Johnson, from April 22-May 20. The tours have been going strong since 1948, it’s also one of the oldest, largest and most successful house and garden tours in the country.
13. The Tony and Olivier Award-nominated musical Blues in the Night brings its show stopping production to The Wallis now until May 20.
Wednesday May 16th, 2018
15. LA Times Food Bowl Night Market (May 16-20) features dozens of restaurants and food trucks selling food for purchase, plus an assortment of DJ’d music and entertainment, taking place in Downtown Los Angeles’ Grand Park.
16. Visit The Autry for Las Mujeres, a special after-hours event inspired by the museum’s LA RAZA exhibition. A line up of fierce females and allies will make up the night of poetry, music, and art.
17. FLIX at FIG will screen Oceans Eleven at FIGat7th in DTLA. The free movie screenings happen every third Wednesday of the month. A live DJ and happy hour kicks off the night at 6 p.m. and the film begins at 7 p.m. FREE
18. BE KIND, REWIND an epic 90s party will takeover Lucky Strike Live in Hollywood. The FOO FLANNELS will provide the 90s cover tunes and specialty themed cocktails will be served all night long. The event is free to attend and there will be giveaways throughout the night that include Airheads, slap bracelets and even POGS.
19. BB Dakota is having a sample sale from May 16-20. All items will be $10. Sizes range from xs to 2x and include dress, rompers, blazers, jackets and more.
20. The Garvey Ranch Observatory will host an evening of astronomy with members of the Los Angeles Astronomical Society. Guest will have a chance to go into the dome to view the stars, enjoy a star party on the lawn, and learn how to build their own telescope. The observatory is open to the public on Wednesday nights only. FREE
21. Bad Housekeeping at Good Housekeeping in Highland Park pops up every Wednesday now through May 30. On these nights you’ll find libations inspired by bad recipes of the past including a ‘glazed ham’ and cherry cordials cocktail.
Thursday May 17th, 2018
22. Head to San Pedro’s Cabrillo Marine Aquarium for the Grunion Fish-tival. Celebrate another year of grunion running with various themed activities including arts and crafts, classic grunion videos, discussions, live tide pools, costume contest and a late night grunion run.
23. Enjoy a lively and free panel discussion about dance when Center Stage: Mapping the Ecology of Dance in L.A. comes to the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts in Beverly Hills on Thursday. FREE
24. Shibumi and Kuramoto US will host a night with Yamagata Brewery featuring special sakes during dinner service at Shibumi from 6 to 9 p.m. Mr. Yamagata will be on hand to pour sake for guests and talk about the process. Featured sakes for the evening are from Japan and not yet available in the US.
25. The night market at hilltop Asian restaurant Yamashiro back for 2018 every Thursday, from 5 to 9 p.m., through September 27. Angelenos can enjoy a farmers market, freshly prepared foods and Yamashiro’s unbeatable views of Hollywood.
26. The 3rd Annual Venice Art Crawl will take place on Venice Boulevard and will feature art exhibits, poets, musicians, and more. FREE
27. Third Thursdays on Brand Avenue in Glendale is a vibrant event featuring music, food, drinks, and artisanal goods, taking place outside of the Museum of Neon Art.
28. The Unauthorized Musical Parody of Clueless takes over the Rockwell in Los Feliz with Broadway style performances in an intimate cabaret setting. Happening Thursday and throughout the weekend. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
29. Wellscene will host Flow in the Dark a yoga class in complete darkness with only blacklight to make the space glow. Taking place at the Mondrian, a social hour will be held after the class. Guests will receive a drink and goodie bag with their ticket.
30. The new 5 Art Gallery will host a grand opening reception from 6-9 p.m. Founded by Parisians Jean-Jacques and Julie Darmon, the gallery will be the spot to discover French street artist. Several never-before-seen works by BABS, Christophe Catelain, L’Atlas, MonkeyBird and RISK will be on display at the gallery. FREE
31. The Downtown Long Beach Alliance’s (DLBA) Summer and Music (SAM) series returns for its tenth year of producing free, family-friendly events to Downtown Long Beach. Kick off night will feature headliner Korey Dane. FREE
32. Museum of Selfies opens on April 1 and will run till May 31 with 10 interactive exhibits that welcomes visitors to take a closer look into the cultural phenomenon. The curators of the Glendale museum have also collected an array of Instagram-inspired art as well as an Iron Throne made of selfie sticks for guests to enjoy.
33. Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.), USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.) and Pasadena Museum of California Art (from 5 to 8 p.m.) FREE
Friday May 18th, 2018
34. Visit the Skirball Center for Uncorked Wine Festival, an evening of wine, food and live music happening May 18-20. Sample 50+ wines from family-owned and operated wineries from top wine regions from around the world. Ticket also comes with gourmet hors d’oeuvres and appetizers. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
35. A free Night of Electronic Music at Union Station in Downtown Los Angeles featuring Rival Consoles, underground mainstay John Tejada (Kompakt) and Tottie (Dublab) in collaboration with Decibel Festival. FREE
36. WhedonCon 2018, taking place May 18-20 at Warner Center in Woodland Hills is a Joss Whedon-inspired convention that includes Fan Friday, Supernatural Saturday and Super Sunday.
37. Brennan’s will host a Friday PieDay Pizza Party Power Hour on the patio from 4 to 7 p.m. with free pepperoni or cheese pizza and live music.
38. Blogger turned fashion designer Sincerely Jules is having a sample sale from May 18-20 hosted by Eclipse.
39. Monrovia Days 2018 takes place May 18-20. The community fair will feature games, rides, food, vendors, a parade, live entertainment, and more to celebrate the city’s birthday. FREE
40. Urban Death: Spring, a haunted theater attraction, is currently in session at Zombie Joe’s Underground Theatre Group in North Hollywood. Urban Death have terrorized audiences in L.A. for over a decade. Expect a completely new experience of inexplicable horrors and unfathomable monstrosities for this spring edition.
41. Vegan-friendly pub Tony’s Darts Away celebrates their 8th anniversary with a weekend-long party kicking off this Friday. Expect vegan and non-vegan food and plenty of special sour, old cellared, casks and rare craft beer. Party begins at midnight.
42. Happy Place has found a new home at LA Live’s Event Deck, opening on April 26 and running through May 27 the very Instagram friendly experience will feature a giant pot of gold and indoor confetti dome, a bath tub filled with rubber duckies and more. Happening all week. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
43. Aussie fashion label Misha Collection is having a sample sale hosted by Eclipse from May 18-20.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]