Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend, from Friday, September 14 to Sunday, September 16, features dOGUMENTA, Roaring Nights at the LA Zoo, a Vintage Vibe Festival, the Los Angeles Taco Takeover, Metro’s Pride of the Valley, and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday September 14th, 2018
1. Man’s best friend finally has an art exhibit made just for them! dOGUMENTA LA is a free, dog-friendly art show hosted over two consecutive weekends (September 14-16 & 21-23) at FIGat7th in Downtown L.A. FREE
2. The Los Angeles Zoo’s annual after-hours music series, Roaring Nights comes to a close this week with Richard Blade spinning 80s tunes, while Flashback Heart Attack will cover beloved 80s songs. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. Alpine Village Oktoberfest celebrates 50 years! The fun kicks off this Friday with traditional Bavarian fun like Oom Pah Pah party bands, German fare, and delicious cold German beers. Oktoberfest runs Fridays and Saturdays September 7 through October 27.
4. Get ready to scream, be amazed or simply turn away because Son of Monsterpalooza (Sep 14-16) is coming just in time for Halloween with makeup demos, panels, and more.
5. The legendary Queen Mary welcomes master magician and apparitionist, Aiden Sinclair, aboard the ocean liner for ‘Illusions of the Passed; Legends of the Queen Mary, A Theatrical Séance!’ where guests will travel back in time to encounter the ghosts who reside on the historic ship.
6. Come watch film composer Rolfe Kent and his band perform outdoors at the Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum in Topanga Canyon during “The Concert Goes Awry.” He and his band will create live melodies and harmonies that will be looped and played together eventually into a beautiful swirl of vocals.
7. PaleyFest, at the Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills, wraps up this weekend.
8. Westfield Topanga Restaurant Week comes to a close this Sunday. The dining event takes place across the Westfield Topanga properties, highlighting a diverse selection of choices and flavors, from fine dining steakhouses to good old Southern BBQ. The best part? Guests can expect savings of up to 20% off on uniquely crafted prix-fixe menus.
9. Celebrate the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein at Corey Helford Gallery’s opening reception and month-long exhibition of Frankenstein 200 a group art show featuring over 100 artist. On view now through October 13. FREE
10. Ánimo Productions and LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes present the latest installment of Boleros De Noche concert series featuring bolero music under the stars in historic Los Angeles.
11. 260LA will host french women brand Maje sample sale from September 10 through September 16 in their Beverly Hills space.
12. Rooftop Cinema Club returns to the rooftops of LEVEL in DTLA and NeueHouse in Hollywood with multiple screenings this week that include Black Panther, Top Gun and more.
Saturday September 15th, 2018
13. Head to the Vintage Vibe Festival at Santa Anita Park for a throw back festival featuring 21st century bands with a 20th century sound. The festival will also offer numerous vintage activities, including pin-up shoots, retro video games, and classic/iconic movie cars. Check for discounted ticketed before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. Shop and support local artisans and designers during UNIQUE LA at Platform in Culver City on September 15-16
15. La Plaza de Cultura y Artes will host Los Angeles Taco Takeover where local restaurants compete to win your vote as you indulge in tacos and Latin-inspired dishes, as well as Cuervo Tradicional cocktails made by local bartenders. Check for discounted ticketed before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
16. This Saturday the City of Los Angeles and Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez present ¡EL GRITO!, a free arts and music festival to kickoff Los Angeles’ Latino Heritage Month. The event features Latino artists and entertainers, food trucks, a reggaeton silent disco, and a crafts fair with some 60 vendors. FREE
17. The 3rd annual Westchester Arts & Music (WAM) Block Party will feature succulent planting, garden tours, face painting, and a petting zoo for FREE.
18. Check out Cine Sin Frontera, a selection of highlights from the Morelia International Film Festival at the Vincent Price Art Museum with music and more this Saturday.
19. Enjoy a bike ride in Duarte to the world-famous Huy Fong Foods Factory for Sriracha-infused food and views atop the Santa Fe Dam during Sriracha Slow Roll. FREE
20. The Los Angeles Cactus & Succulent Society will host their annual Fall Cactus & Succulent Sale this Saturday in Encino at the Sepulveda Garden Center. Peruse and purchase unique and unusual cactus and succulents for 20 vendors offeering special plants, handmade pottery, and art. Proceeds from the sale will go towards helping grow and maintain the public cactus garden at the Sepulveda Garden Center.
21. Enjoy the Open Arts and Music Festival in Glendale. This festival includes live performances, a marketplace, art, and much more. FREE
22. Craft Beer LB Fest is a family-friendly fest exclusively featuring local breweries, food, and artists.
23. BATMAN DAY is this Saturday and takes place across many participating comic shops, libraries and bookstores. Fans will receive free comic books, giveaways and a free online activity kit. DC artists will also be hosting special fan signings at select locations.
24. Come enjoy the 2018 Rosemead Moon Festival, a celebration that sees Valley Blvd. close down for over 110 vendors, live performances, games and more. FREE
25. Street Food Cinema returns this weekend with a screenings of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off at Brand Library Park in Glendale and Selena at LA State Historic Park in Los Angeles. Select screenings are discounted via Goldstar. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. Tom Gun Live brings back their Top Gun spoof party to Union Night Club in Hollywood this Saturday Night. The performance includes karaoke sing-a-longs dance-offs, paper airplane battles, missiles ziplining through the crowd, and more. Check for discounted ticketed before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. Modern Southwestern eatery Panxa Cocina in Long Beach just rolled out an impressive Hatch Chile Menu for the month of September. In addition to the hatch menu, on September 15-16 guests can experience a hatch chile roasting and pick up some for your home!
29.. The Silverlake Flea-Night Market taking place every Saturday from 5-10 p.m. all summer long features a plethora of local, independent sellers that offer vintage clothing, art, rare vinyl, crafts, and much more.
30. Will Geer’s Theatricum Botanicum outdoor theater presents Shakespeare’s Coriolanus this Saturday.
31. HUSHfest closes out their popular Silent Disco series at the Santa Monica Pier this Saturday with Hip Hop Battle: West Coast vs East Coast vs Dirty South.
Sunday September 16th, 2018
32. Patti Smith, Karen O, Flea, Tony Hawk, and more will take part in Pathway to Paris, a concert uniting musicians, artists, policymakers, and more to spread awareness of climate change. Taking place at the Theatre at Ace Hotel.
33. KCRW’s World Festival returns to the Hollywood Bowl with The War on Drugs and Alvvays performing this Sunday.
34. Explore Baldwin Park and Irwindale on your feet during Metro’s Pride of the Valley Open Streets event. Streets will be closed to cars allowing pedestrians to safely enjoy the outdoors. FREE
35. KCRW presents Gustavo’s Great Tortilla Tournament with Good Food’s Evan Kleiman, and the author of Taco USA, Gustavo Arellano. Help them crown the best flour and corn tortillas in Greater L.A. this Sunday at the LA River Center & Gardens. There will be tortilla tastings, tortilla art making, food vendors, margarita and michelada bars, live demos, games, and much more. Free admission but rsvp is required.
36. The L.A. County Fair returns to Pomona for a enormous assortment of activities, musical performances, food and beverage offerings, and more. The fair runs through September 23. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
37. The 72nd annual East Los Angeles Mexican Independence Day Parade will take over Cesar E. Chávez Ave. starting at Mednik St. and ending at Gage Ave. Music performances, entertainment, attractions, food vendors, merchandise, interactive displays and family fun will take place on First Street. FREE
38. Sunday Sessions comes to a close at Grand Park this Sunday. Come out for a free evening celebrating Los Angeles House music with Focus DJs (Nonfiction & Josh Billings), David Montoya, Juliet Mendoza, and Lacey IQ. FREE
39. E.P. & L.P. in West Hollywood continues their stylish cinema series Melrose Rooftop Theatre with a screening of The Blues Brothers this week.
40. There’s two new hyper-realistic VR experience at The VOID in Glendale a Ghostbusters themed experience and a scarier Nicodemus: Demon of Evanishment experience. Experiences run on different days, be sure to check their schedule.
Food Pick for the Week
This week’s pick by Christina Champlin, Co-Founder of We Like L.A.
JINYA Ramen Bar recently rolled out a limited-time bowl called the “Goku Midnight Cowboy” featuring a slab of braised beef brisket in Tonkotsu ramen topped with bean sprouts, green onion, kikurage, seasoned egg, and thick ramen noodles. Created by Chef and Founder of JINYA, Tomonori Takahashi, the dish combines flavors of Southern barbecue with Japan’s famous ramen. The “Goku Midnight Cowboy” ramen bowl is priced at $22 and will be available through November 30 at all Los Angeles locations of JINYA Ramen.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]