Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday through Friday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, July 29 to Friday, August 2, features Beta Night at Two Bit Circus, San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights, Brew at the Zoo, Cinema Botanica: Movies in the Garden, and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday July 29th, 2019
1. The Summer Playwrights Festival will showcase 38 plays in eight days from July 28 through Sunday August 4 at the Road on Lankershim in the Historic Lankershim Arts Center in North Hollywood.
2. On Monday Off The Menu Presents Wing Fest at Mel’s Drive In on Sunset.
3. Start your week with a free Jam Session at the Ford Theatre. This week’s focus: African Dance and Drum. FREE
4. The Hello Kitty Cafe Truck stops by The Citadel Outlets July 29 through August 4 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. serving lots of super cute treats while supplies last.
5. There’s a free Mindful Yoga on the Beach series in the South Sand of the Manhattan Beach Pier this Monday at 6:30 p.m. FREE
Tuesday July 30th, 2019
6. Two Bit Circus is hosting a Beta Night allowing guests to play and test out new games for free, all they want is your feedback in exchange. FREE
7. The Hammer will host screenings of the Democratic Presidential Debate round one (Tuesday) and two (Wednesday) on the big screen followed by a roundtable discussion with political experts. FREE
8. The Central Courtyard at Hollywood & Highland hosts free concerts every Tuesday in July as part of the 16th annual Subaru Summer Jazz Nights. This week Jose Rizo’s Mongorama will perform. FREE
9. Moonlight Movies on the Beach brings a summer-long series of free outdoor movie screenings on the shores of the LBC to three different locations near Downtown Long Beach and Belmont Shore. The series continues with Ready Player One at Granada Beach on Tuesday and E.T. at Cherry Beach on Thursday. Screenings happen on select Tuesdays and Thursdays through August 20. FREE
10. Down some tacos, drink some brews and test your trivia skills this Tuesday during Tacos & Trivia night at Angel City Brewery in DTLA.
11. Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema is back for the sixth year in a row. From June 11 through August 27 Angelenos can indulge in a luxury outdoor movie experience by the pool with a Cipriani menu, classic movie snacks and Peroni Nastro Azzurro. Black Panther will be screened this week.
12. Apollo 11: The Immersive Live Show retells the tale of the first moon landing using 40,000 square feet of 360-degree graphics beaming from 32 total projectors, and an almost full-scale replica of the mylar-draped Command Module Columbia. And of course the timing couldn’t be more perfect, with the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission coming up later this month. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Wednesday July 31st, 2019
13. It’s a Bob’s Burgers trivia night at the Mermaid this Wednesday. Gather your team, dress in costumes, grab drinks and win some prizes. There’s also a $5.95 burger special for the night.
14. Back for the 16th year in a row, The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with free performances of Pericles Wednesday through Saturday and a performance of Twelfth Night on Sunday. FREE
15. A colorful, winding installation called The Second Home Serpentine Pavilion is now open at the La Brea Tar Pits for the summer and its 100% free for the public to roam and explore. The pavilion is open daily and will run through November 24. FREE
16. The Los Angeles Latino International Film Festival (LALIFF) the largest Latinx film festival in Los Angeles will take over the TCL Chinese Theatre and TCL Chinese July 31 through August 4. Co-founded by actor Edward James Olmos, the festival shines a spotlight on US-born Latinx filmmakers through screenings and world premieres, plus shorts, special events, Latinx podcasts and more.
17. Shakespeare By The Sea will once again offer a ten-week program of admission-free performances with two featured productions: The Comedy of Errors and Henry V at a variety of venues across Los Angeles on Wednesday through Sunday. FREE
Thursday August 1st, 2019
18. Enjoy a vintage-style summer evening at the drive-in during San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights at the Lake Balboa Complex. Each evening will offer food trucks, an arcade, live music and more. Kicking off the series is a screening of Indiana Jones And The Raiders of The Lost Ark on Thursday, Harry Potter and the Scorer’s Stone on Friday and Jurassic Park on Saturday. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. Think Tank Gallery is teaming up with Pizzaboyzzz and Future Fantasy Delight to present Nothing Cheezy a pizza-fueled, self-aware, selfie-themed pop-up thats a little bit satire and is intentionally too encompassing to be captured in a picture, thus forcing viewers to live inside the art. This is a ticketed experience that takes guests through the “craziest kitchen you’ve ever seen” and thirteen themed environments plus pizza of course. Open Thursday through Sunday.
20. Descanso Gardens hosts Beer Garden Nights welcoming the public into their Courtyard for some brews and some wandering through the gardens during sunset. The series will happen every Thursday through August.
21. The Skirball Cultural Center welcomes it’s twenty-third annual season of Sunset Concerts with The Klezmatics on Thursday. FREE
22. Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
23. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle screens as part of Outdoor Movie Nights at Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza. FREE
24. Sizzling Summer Nights at The Autry happens every Thursday. Enjoy live music, dance lessons with an instructor, access to museum galleries, and a separate children’s dance floor, plus tacos, margaritas, and other light refreshments (available for purchase.) Sizzling Nights continue weekly through August 22.
25. The Culver Hotel will host a summer wine tasting night with five sommeliers teaching guests the art of tasting summer wines. There will be 10 wineries and 30 wines on hand.
26. Beverly Hills third annual BOLD Summer after hours will feature an extravagant block party on Rodeo Drive this Thursday with live musical performances, art installations, a champagne garden, food trucks, fireworks and more. Shops will stay open later and the series continues every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday throughout the month with special programing for each week. FREE
27. The City of Pasadena hosts Parks After Dark a season of free activities including sports, fitness classes, arts & crafts and much more offered to youth, families and individuals every Thursday through Saturday from July 10 through August 10. FREE
28. The Ace presents a monthly evening of stand up comedy on their rooftop Upstairs bar hosted by Louis Katz. FREE
29. Night Market is back on the hilltop of the iconic Yamashiro restaurant every Thursday all summer long. Angelenos can enjoy boutique vendors, food vendors, a concert series, cocktails at Yamashiro’s Pagoda Bar and an unbeatable view of Hollywood. This event is also kid friendley. Please note this year the organizers are charging $10 to park at the shuttle location. Shuttles are free and so is admission.
30. Enjoy free family-friendly outdoor movies in Malibu thanks to Screen on the Green every Thursday through August 15. This week Babe will be screened. FREE
31. Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
Friday August 2nd, 2019
32. Cinema Botanica: Movies in the Garden happening at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden will feature family friendly movies every Friday in August. Attendees will receive a field guide to plants they can spot in the movies and Garden staff will discuss the plants and landscape during intermission.
33. Sierra Madre Shakespeare Festival 2019 returns for its fifth year with the comedy “Much Ado About Nothing” at Sierra Madre Memorial Park. Guests are encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs, and picnics as they enjoy the show. FREE
34. The L.A. Zoo hosts Brew at the Zoo this Friday with 40 breweries, food, live music, pop-up zoo talks and animal discovery stations in an evening party setting.
35. The Silver Lake Picture Show screens The Big Lebowski at Sunset Triangle Plaza.
36. The Groundlings’ latest hilarious main stage show, Groundlings Treasure Hunters runs every Friday and Saturday through September 14.
37. Metro Art Presents “Movements at Union Station,” an evening featuring special DJ guest Norio, owner of the famous Rare Groove record store in Osaka, Japan. He’ll be spinning tunes on the station’s South Patio. Guests can also enjoy visual projections, a photo booth, a silkscreen stencil workshop and food trucks. FREE
38. Jackalope Arts August 2-3 features a massive assortment of artisan vendors, local food and drink, including a beer garden at Old Pasadena’s Central Park. FREE
39. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA features live music and/or DJs paired with expert dance instructors providing beginner group dance lessons for attendees. Each night has a different dance theme. The series continues with K-pop at Grand Park on Performance Lawn. Dance DTLA continues on select Fridays through August 30. FREE
40. L.A. LIVE kicks off the Nike Basketball 3ON3 Tournament with Downtown Dark Nights this Friday from 6 p.m. till late. There will be music, art, live performances and $5 food and drink menus at surrounding participating restaurants. The Nike 3on3 tip-off party will take place on the Main Court with an opening ceremony. This event is free to attend.
41. The City of Monterey Park presents Summer Movies in the Park a family friendly event with free popcorn taking place in different parks in the neighborhood. This weekend the series concludes with Captain Marvel at Barnes Park Amphitheater . FREE
42. Grand Central Market hosts Friday Night Flights this Friday starting at noon. The special includes a flight of drinks or bites from GCM vendors and a round trip ticket on the historic Angels Flight Railway right across the street for $15.
43. The Department of Beaches and Harbors presents Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center every Friday. This week they will screen The Lego Movie 2. FREE
44. “The Assassination of Edgar Allan Poe,” weaves in and out of the many Victorian mansions at Highland Park’s Heritage Square Museum. The show follows the strange life and mysterious death of Edgar Allan Poe through multiple storylines. Audience members decide which storyline to follow (literally) in this immersive theatrical event and draw their own conclusion on how the famous writer died. The show runs August 2-4.
45. Westwood Village Cinema Under the Stars returns for the season with Guardians of the Galaxy. Moviegoers are encouraged to bring their own chairs and blankets. FREE
46. Stop by The Bazaar By José Andrés at the SLS Beverly Hills for their al fresco bubbles and seafood series Terrace Fridays: Mar x Moet. Recurring every Friday starting at 7:30 p.m. and running through the end of September, the summertime series features iced Moet cocktails as well as gin cocktails, a menu featuring local seafood and signature dishes from Miami’s Bazaar Mar.
47. Spend the season sipping wine during sunset hour at Barnsdall Art Park’s Friday Night Wine Party Series. Happening on the lawn of architectural gem the Hollyhock House, the evening features a fine selection of wines curated by Silverlake Wine, a live DJ and tours of the house. The series happens every Friday evening till September 6.
48. The Norton Simon Museum presents The Female Gaze a female-centric film series highlighting French women directors. Presented in conjunction with the exhibition The Sweetness of Life: Three 18th-Century French Paintings, this Friday the museum will screen Vagabond. The screenings are free with guest admission ticket.
49. First Fridays at Riviera Village in Redondo Beach features after hours at art galleries, restaurants, shops and live music. Location of the performances will vary. Check the Riviera Village Facebook events page to get details on each event as it becomes available.
50. Summer Friday Night Drive-In at the Roadium returns every Friday evening from June 7 to August 30 to revive your favorite films in a classic 1950’s drive-in setting. The series continues with a screening of The Incredibles.
51. Free museum days: Norton Simon Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
Food Pick for the Week
This week’s pick by Christina Champlin, Co-Founder of We Like L.A.
FOX is rebooting Beverly Hills 90210 on August 7, to celebrate they are inviting fans into the The Peach Pit on August 1-3 for free Megaburgers and milkshakes. Reservations are highly recommended but walk-ins and waitlists are also available if you are not able to snag a ticket. The launch event on Thursday August 1 turns the recreated Peach Pit into “Peach Pit After Dark” from 7-10 p.m. with two complimentary drinks for each guest. On Friday August 2 the Peach Pit will be open for lunch from noon to 5 p.m. then switches back to “Peach Pit After Dark” from 7-10 p.m. The closing day on Saturday August 3 will host the public for one last lunch date from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Peach Pit will be located at 7507 Melrose Avenue Los Angeles 90046
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program. Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at email@example.com