Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, April 23 to Friday, April 27, features the French Film Festival, The Oregon Wine Trail, Griffith Observatory’s Sunset Walk & Talk, Marijuana Madness, TCM Classic Film Festival, Gala in the Gardens, Our L.A. Voices: Arts Festival at Grand Park and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday April 23rd, 2018
1. Immerse yourself in eight days of French film, documentaries, and TV shows when the COLCOA French Film Festival takes over the Directors Guild of America (DGA) in Hollywood from April 23-30.
2. Take a stroll down the T.V. Hall of Fame Plaza in North Hollywood. Dedicated to television pioneers, you’ll see a 27-foot Emmy Award, a life-sized statue of Johnny Carson and other legends of the small screen contained in the plaza. FREE
3. The Museum of Failure has a new location on Hollywood and Highland with new exhibits and products that include Juicero, Facebook Gifts, RCA SelectaVision, Pets.com, and Google Wave. There’s also an entire section dedicated to Hollywood with some of the industry’s biggest fails. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. Bring a little meditation to your Monday at the Eastside/Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sitting Group
5. Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick, Arthur C. Clarke, and the Making of a Masterpiece (author talk and book signing) at LACMA. FREE
6. The Moth storytelling event returns to the Regent Theater in Downtown Los Angeles on April 23. The GrandSLAM Championship, featuring the winners of the past 10 Moth StorySLAMS, is a battle of wits and words.
Tuesday April 24th, 2018
7. 50 Oregon wineries will be represented as The Oregon Wine Trail comes to The Line Hotel this Tuesday. In addition to generous pours of select Oregon–based wines, guests will enjoy a few goodies from Olympia Provisions, Salt & Straw Ice Cream, and Stumptown Coffee Roasters.
8. James Beard Award Semifinalist Chef Michael Pirolo, will bring his famed Miami Beach Italian sandwich to L.A. Pirolo’s Panino will open on Tuesday, April 24 at 7461 Melrose Avenue. To celebrate they’ll host a meatball sub toast with local officials and give away free paninos to the first 100 guests who follow their Instagram @pirolos.
9. Rooftop Cinema Club returns to the rooftop of The Montalban in Hollywood with a screening of Boyz in the Hood . Other screenings this week include Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, The Greatest Showman, Thor: Ragnarok, Phantom Thread and more.
11. Visit the Pasadena Showcase House of Design, a majestic Mediterranean masterpiece built in 1915 and designed by distinguished architect Reginald Davis Johnson, from April 22-May 20. The tours have been going strong since 1948, it’s also one of the oldest, largest and most successful house and garden tours in the country.
6. Museum of Selfies opens on April 1 and will run till May 31 with 10 interactive exhibits that welcomes visitors to take a closer look into the cultural phenomenon. The curators of the Glendale museum have also collected an array of Instagram-inspired art as well as an Iron Throne made of selfie sticks for guests to enjoy. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
12. 260LA will host a Paul Smith sample sale event April 24-29 in Beverly Hills with mens and women’s apparel, shoes and accessories at a steep discount.
13. Stash House, a new escape room in L.A. will allow you and your friends to get actively involved in a crime drama — with zero chance of going to prison. Happening all week.
Wednesday April 25th, 2018
14. Pasadena’s One Colorado hosts its first-ever Happy Hour Week from April 25-May 1 offering live entertainment and specially priced drinks and bites from local restaurants.
15. Griffith Observatory offers a Sunset Walk & Talk one evening a month. At this free event, guests will enjoy a sunset hike led by a Griffith Park park ranger and a museum guide. FREE
16. Liquid Intelligence will take over The Mixing Room from 6-7 p.m. for one hour of complimentary tastings of Angel City Brewery’s Kumquat Kettle Sour. FREE
17. The Slurring Bee makes its way to The Virgil this Wednesday for a bar spelling bee with a money prize, bee-themed prizes and guaranteed slurring if you choose to participate.
18. Taste of Downtown Long Beach April 25-26 will takeover the East Village Arts District with samples of food and drinks from restaurants from in the area. Admission is free and guests pay to eat by purchasing booklets of tickets.
19. Take an afternoon yoga class in beautiful Grand Park. The 45 minute workout is complimentary to the public every. After yoga, checkout the many food trucks lining the park and grab lunch al fresco style. FREE
20. Bad Housekeeping at Good Housekeeping in Highland Park pops up every Wednesday now through May 30. On these nights you’ll find libations inspired by bad recipes of the past including a ‘glazed ham’ and cherry cordials cocktail.
21. Golden Road Brewing presents Hip HOPS Night on the last Wednesday of every month. From 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. guests will enjoy $5 food + drink specials, DJ tunes and a handful of live performances as well as live art and pop up shops. Admission is $5.
22.Angel City Brewery will host Plant Nite a succulent D.I.Y. event where guest get to create their own terrariums while sipping on beer and snacking on bites.
23. Take a Gin Crafting Class at Greenbar Distillery this Wednesday. Taste a flight of six gins while learning about the history, then guests will learn how to craft their own gin while enjoying gin cocktails.
Thursday April 26th, 2018
24. LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes in Downtown Los Angeles is hosting Mexican Street Food of L.A.: Elotes, Discrimination and Politics this Thursday. The event will touch on what the future of street vending will look like in L.A. while featuring food samples from local Boyle Heights street vendors.
25. The night market at hilltop Asian restaurant Yamashiro back for 2018 every Thursday, from 5 to 9 p.m., through September 27. Angelenos can enjoy a farmers market, freshly prepared foods and Yamashiro’s unbeatable views of Hollywood.
26. Marijuana Madness is an innovative burlesque and live music show coming to Harvelle’s in Santa Monica. Travel back in time to 1937, when National Marijuana Prohibition became American law. Learn the truth behind the mass propaganda that insisted that cannabis led to moral decay and debauchery, resulting in persecution of marijuana users.
27. Happy Place has found a new home at LA Live’s Event Deck, opening on April 26 and running through May 27 the very Instagram friendley experience will feature a giant pot of gold and indoor confetti dome, a bath tub filled with rubber duckies and more. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. The TCM Classic Film Festival, will return to Los Angeles from April 26 to 29 bringing over 80 movie screenings — including new restorations of landmark films — and panel discussions at several iconic Hollywood venues.
29. Visit Eastown in Hollywood for Animals, Embers & Green Things this Thursday. Part of Feastown Collective’s Dinner & Story Series, Chef Royce Burke will offer up a casual “kamayan style” grilling event inspired by Argentinian asado with a twist.
30. Come to the Frogtown Brewery this Thursday for Retro Game Night where they’ll be hosts a Tetris Battle Gaiden for Super Famicom. Free to join and Maravilla Latin Cuisine food truck will be on-site for those who need to grab a bite.
31. The L.A. Zoo will once again host their annual Sustainable Wine+Dinner Series. The theme “Raptors and Reptiles,” featuring Romona Ranch Vineyard & Winery, the dinner will take place on the Cambodia Terrace at Elephants of Asia.
32. Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.) FREE
Friday April 27th, 2018
33. Alcove and Big Bar in Los Feliz will transform their space into a cocktail filled wonderland with extravagant themed out areas for their annual Gala in the Gardens spring time festival. Guests can expect five completely different experiences and signature cocktails to go with each space. Highlights include a boozy tea garden and a Putt Putt Goose mini golf experience. Admission is free. FREE
34. Our L.A. Voices: Arts Festival at Grand Park happening April 27-29 is recognized as the “Best of L.A. Arts Festival,” a weekend long art celebration featurinf visual art showcases including dance, music and theatre performances, alongside traditional art pieces. FREE
35. The new swan-shaped paddle boats are making a big splash with Angelenos. Start the weekend right with a ride on a Swan in Echo Park Lake.
36. Dublab will take over Grand Central Market to bring you groovy sounds from around the world from 7 to 10 p.m. while you wine and dine at the food halls many delicious vendor stalls.
37. The Tony and Olivier Award-nominated musical Blues in the Night kicks off a three-week run at The Wallis this Friday.
38. Decompress at Mystic Journey Crystals in Venice with a crystal sound bath that combines original compositions and performances with crystal singing bowls.
39. Japan House Los Angeles (JHLA) presents Takeo Paper Show titled SUBTLE, an experimental exploration of paper, on view from April 13 through May 23, 2018. The exhibit will showcase innovative paper creations that will have you look at paper in an entirely different way. To celebrate this exhibit JHLA will host several free air vase workshops where you’ll learn how to make a vase with paper on Saturday. FREE
40. On the last Friday of each month the California Market Center hosts a public sample sale with hundreds of showrooms offering men, women and children fashion as well as gift and home items at below-retail prices.
41. The VOID’s virtual reality experience Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire is now open in the Glendale Galleria. The “hyper-reality” experience puts players in a 360 virtual world allowing them to touch, smell, and sensing their surroundings.
42. Step inside The Museum of Illusions in Hollywood and find yourself in a classic painting, part of a cartoon, part of current events, inside movies and much more. Highlights include watching the Titanic go down, “climbing” a sheer cliff and other eye popping visuals. Happening all week. (DISCOUNTED) via Goldstar
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org